Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YamahaR6
    • By YamahaR6 6th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 100Posts
    • 93Thanks
    YamahaR6
    Cohabitation - rights after separation?
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    Cohabitation - rights after separation? 6th Oct 17 at 11:28 AM
    Hiya

My partner and I bought a house 5 years ago but because I was still subject to a bankruptcy order at the time (after a previous relationship breakdown), the house was put solely in his name. The household bills plus the mortgage are paid out of our joint bank account which we both transfer money into each month.

I've finally come to the realisation that this relationship isn't going anywhere and want to leave. I've paid half of everything since day one and my parents paid for the house to be rewired along with a hefty contribution towards having a new kitchen fitted, but despite now being free from the bankruptcy we never got round to adding me to the mortgage.

Am I entitled to anything if I leave or will I have to walk away with nothing?

Many thanks
    BR as of 10:30am on 27/08/2009
    Proud BSC member #285
    Countdown to AD 27/08/2010

"When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better."
Page 1
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 6th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    Do you have anything in writing between 2 of you confirming that this was technically a joint purchase and was just done in his name for the reasons you have stated?
    If you have nothing in writing that you have lent him the money then he could argue that you have gifted the money to him and then lived rent free. Or paid the rent to him in advance.
    Have you tried talking to him first as there is always a chance that although there is a grief of separation he would still want to be honnest and just give you the sum you 2 agree?
    • YamahaR6
    • By YamahaR6 6th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    YamahaR6
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    Sadly nothing in writing. Stupidly when you're in the honeymoon period you don't tend to think about things going wrong

Not had the conversation yet, kinda wanted to find out where I stood first to prepare myself for the worst, but you might be right.
    BR as of 10:30am on 27/08/2009
    Proud BSC member #285
    Countdown to AD 27/08/2010

"When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin