Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mandco
    • By mandco 6th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 678Posts
    • 8,757Thanks
    mandco
    cooking meat from frozen?
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    cooking meat from frozen? 6th Oct 17 at 11:27 AM
    I have some random pieces of meat/fish mostly salmon & chicken that were brought as fresh but then frozen as short/same day dated can I cook them from frozen or do I have to defrost them 1st?
    If so whats the best way to cook them?

Not sure what I do wrong but it seems to take forever to defrost things then I'm not sure if they are ok to still use - last time I left chicken breasts in the fridge to defrost and they were still part frozen 24hrs later

any advice appreciated
    thanks
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 60,291 Posts
    • 352,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    Yes you can cook them from frozen. The best way to find out how is to find a supermarket's website where they're selling a frozen item the same sort/weight as what you've got - and they usually give the cooking instructions there these days.

In short: Cook it as you'd have done it if fresh, but longer.... so it depends on the size how much longer.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 25,821 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    Do you have a microwave with a defrost function on it? If not and you need to defrost slowly it,s always better to menu plan for the next day, take stuff out of the freezer the previous day and leave it open on the counter for a few hours before storing in the fridge overnight.
    If you don’t have a microwave, putting something on a heatproof dish over a saucepan of previously boiled water will speed up the process.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Farway
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    A tip I saw for defrosting, put item on/in metal dish, if you have one, and place on metal drainer if you have one

The metal will help heat loss
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 3,778 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    I often put 3 or 4 chicken breasts in an oven dish and cook from frozen for about 45 minutes at 180 degrees. It's a great no-think/no-prep dinner for the family mid-week and can be cooked so many ways:
    under a tin of toms and some herbs
    under a tin of condensed soup with some sliced mushrooms
    under some gravy
    under jar of curry sauce
    under a jar of sweet and sour/tin of pineapple...

Just add mash/rice/stuffing and some veg.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 7th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 6,380 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    I tend to think that the texture is better if defrosted slowly, but no problem as long as you ensure it is properly cooked through. I wouldn't be without my meat thermometer for checking.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 25,821 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    I think the real risky one trying to cook from frozen is chicken. Personally I wouldn’t risk it because of the risk of compilobacter or other types of food poisoning.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 7th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    I tend not to cook meat from frozen solid, but I will admit that sometimes I cook things like stewing steak and chicken breast from part frozen if it hasn't defrosted completely by the time I want to cook it. One thing is that it's a heck of a lot easier to cut up slightly frozen meat, in fact that's what they recommend for things like carpaccio, so that you can get really thin slices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin