Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 6th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 457Posts
    • 684Thanks
    BBH123
    What kind of tenency agreement do I need please
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    What kind of tenency agreement do I need please 6th Oct 17 at 11:26 AM
    I have a piece of land and my parents have put a residential log cabin on it , the idea being is that they are closer to me in their later years and practically no longer have to drive to attend their horses.

My stepdad has an estranged family ( children ).

I want to protect myself from any future claim and need a water tight document to ensure there is no claim on the land in years to come and that ownership of the land, goods and chattels are mine.

I also want no subletting so if one / both has to go into residential care his famaily can't come along and move in or claim ownership under any circumstances.
Page 1
    • cloo
    • By cloo 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    cloo
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    This sounds very specific, I'm not sure anyone here can help, I'd go straight to a solicitor for advice on this.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 11,856 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    Could be too late.

How/where did you document (signed by you & parents) the terms under which log cabin was put on your land? Did it have planning & building regs approval?

Who is named as land-owner on land register? (You can have a beneficial interest in property without being named on LR: Parents may be deemed to have an interest having "improved" the land by adding facilities, presumably at their expense.)

Who paid for log-cabin & it's installation?

Electric, water connections?

Any money changed hands so far?? Who pays the council tax?

If (hope this doesn't..) one parent dies & remaining wishes to have new partner live with them you wish to prevent this? Should make for great Xmas get-together...

(You should have thought about this BEFORE log cabin was permitted....)

Which country are you & (separately) the land in - England, Wales, Scotland...??

PS Whichever you go with, Tenancy spelt thus <=

PPS You may decide a license rather than a tenancy is best:
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 06-10-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    I have a piece of land and my parents have put a residential log cabin on it , the idea being is that they are closer to me in their later years and practically no longer have to drive to attend their horses.

My stepdad has an estranged family ( children ).

I want to protect myself from any future claim and need a water tight document to ensure there is no claim on the land in years to come and that ownership of the land, goods and chattels are mine.

I also want no subletting so if one / both has to go into residential care his famaily can't come along and move in or claim ownership under any circumstances.
    Originally posted by BBH123

Who owns the cabin?

What you're insisting on sounds like it wouldn't be legal. They are entitled to leave their property to whomever they wish if they do indeed own it.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    OMG calm down, we are in Wales and nothing is untoward or without proper planning approval and no-one is currently living in it, as I said its for their later years.

I think I will approch a property solicitor for some advice.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 41,480 Posts
    • 47,875 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    No one is 'un-calm'.

you asked for advice.

People responded with questions because it's impossible to offer advice without knowing all the facts.

Your property solicitor will ask you all the same questions!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

7,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin