Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FTB FFA
    • By FTB FFA 6th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FTB FFA
    Management Company Fees Problems
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    Management Company Fees Problems 6th Oct 17 at 11:20 AM
    Hi,

I'm a first time buyer, and looking for some advice over problems I've had post completion.

I completed on a flat about 7 weeks ago. At that time I paid my solicitor £360 for notice of assignment and other fees to the management company.

After completion and not hearing anything for a couple of weeks I emailed my solicitor, who wrote back saying "I am currently dealing with your registration of you property, the management company has stated they cannot deal with the restriction on title and have referred us to another company which the freeholders have newly instructed, hopefully this new company can provide the certificate we need to register the property."

Today I've now received an email from my solicitor who has forwarded me a letter from this company (addressed to the previous owner of the property) asking for fees including Notice of transfer and notice of charge (2x£125), Deed of covenant (£225) and Certificate of compliance (£150), in addition to the £360 already paid to them for ground rent statement and licence to assign. My solicitor writes "I have spoken to one of their representative this morning explaining that the previous management company had not charged us such excessive amounts but they are refusing to reduce the fees and match that which was confirmed by the previous company.". They also note that the registration application with the land registry is on hold until they get the certificate of compliance.

It seems like the management company instructed for these fees changed while I was purchasing the property; I'm not exactly sure of timings but it appears to have been before completion, although my solicitor was not informed of this until after completion.

I've now been given a bill for £625 to this management company post-completion, on top of the £360 I had budgeted for this (which is more money than I've paid my solicitors for the whole conveyancing work), and unless I pay them I cannot finalise the sale.

This all does not feel right to me, but I'm unsure of my options and if there is anything I can do about this. I'd be grateful for any advice.

P.S. Has my solicitor messed up by not finding out these additional fees prior to completion?
Page 1
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 6th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    To be honest if you havent formally completed I'd run for the hills as this will be the start of things to come.

You need to do some research of managing agents, leases and Freeholds as you may enter a can of worms and it appears straight away these new people are not negotiators.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

2,023Users online

Martin's Twitter