Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tlc_warrington
    • By tlc_warrington 6th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tlc_warrington
    Ground rent
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    Ground rent 6th Oct 17 at 10:39 AM
    I used to pay ground rent to a neighbour. They have now sold and moved on. I haven't received an invoice for payment for a while. If the lease has been re-sold how do I chase this up please? .
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    Surely you should now be paying the ground rent to your new neighbour.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 6th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    On what basis were you paying ground rent- a lease? What does that say?

At a minimum, keep the amount of ground rent aside in an interest bearing account each month/year. So, when you do find the relevant person, you can pay the back rent in full.

As for finding who to pay, it depends on what kind of lease / contract you were paying ground rent under. Few avenues you could try..
    - a freeholder may be recorded in Land Registry, you can download the title for £3
    - ask the old neighbour who he sold to
    - knock on the door next door
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 23,144 Posts
    • 13,412 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    Did the neighbour own the freehold of your property or was he acting as agent for the freeholder?

Have you investigated buying your freehold?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin