Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 6th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 332Posts
    • 1,795Thanks
    cbsexec
    Kitchen planning
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    Kitchen planning 6th Oct 17 at 10:39 AM
    Would love any help planning where I can put my kitchen units.

I only have a very small length of wall - 2800mm along one side and 1500 mm along the other (L shape) I have a pantry. The fridge is in the pantry so doesnt need a space, nor do I need a space for the washing machine. So basically sink, dishwasher, hob/cooker. Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • Keith99
    • By Keith99 6th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Keith99
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    I would suggest that you go to wickes/B&Q/etc/etc make an appointment and get them to give you a good idea.

The important bit is start where the water/plumbing is, that is where the sink/dishwasher will go (unless you want to pay extra to move it all).

Next is your hob/cooker gas, does it already have an outside connected extractor fan, if so you have your locatio (again unless you want to move it).
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 7th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    Totally agree with Keith99. Homebase were extremely helpful when I did mine.

You need to start with the things you can't change - distance between walls, and position of windows, doors etc. And then think about the things that could be changed, at the cost of a bit of money and a bit of hassle - radiators, plumbing, electrics.

Once you know what you're dealing with, you can look at units, appliances and so on. It's common practice to put the sink under the window, but it doesn't have to be. The kitchen designers will help you with things like the optimum position for fridge, sink and cooker relative to each other.

Once the main items are in position (on the plans) you can think about the extras - plinth heaters, open shelves to fill a gap, a wine rack. Think about what you will be putting on your worktop (microwave, toaster, kettle, coffee machine...) and make sure there are enough sockets, and in the right places, to accommodate - plus some extras for things that aren't plugged in all the time (food mixer, vacuum cleaner...).

And don't forget to think about where you're going to put the bin!! Personally, I don't like them inside cupboards - but wherever you put it, you need to plan for it.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 7,441 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    -taff
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    Watch some george clarke tiny house programs.
    There was a woman who had a tiny tiny kitchen, fitted it with ship units, everything was fitted in, looked nice.
    You can find kitchen planning software on the internet, ikea do it, and others. Have a play and see what you can come up with.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 7th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 4,315 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    I like the Ikea planner, on line - it's a bit 'clunky' to get working sometimes, but does a good job.

Plus it prices the units individuallly, so you know how much you need to spend. AND their prices are pretty much fixed, with only the odd discount on a tap or appliance, if you have their 'Family Card'.

Also interest free credit is on going, with them

VB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin