Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 6,941Posts
    • 2,256Thanks
    derrick
    Word links
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    Word links 6th Oct 17 at 10:24 AM
    I am and have been using a copy of Word, 2000 (9.0.2720), for a very long time and am happy with it except for one thing.

I used to be able to copy an url, place it in a Word document and it became a clickable link, however for quite a while, (could be since I got a new computer using Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) over 12 months ago), it will not allow this just, keeping the url in black font.

Prior to Pro 7 I was using XP and had no problems with this, even now if I copy the url into Apache Open Office 4.1.1 the link becomes clickable.

Is there something I can do to overcome this problem short of what I am doing which is pasting the link into Open Office then C&P into Word, (please don't suggest using Office as I don't like it).

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Page 2
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6,941 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    derrick
    Logically you'd check in Word 2000 for the same or very similar setting?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes I did as per post #13.

From the link in #11:
    "In Microsoft Office Word 2003 and in Microsoft Word 2002, follow these steps:
    On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options."

"Microsoft Word for Windows has stopped working", then tells me to close the programme."

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Control panel, programs and features, microsoft office 2000 =>repair
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    DoaM
    Yes I did as per post #13.
    Originally posted by derrick
    No you didn't - I quoted what you actually said.

I don't understand what "when I try using 2002" means ... did you mean "when I try to follow the instructions for 2002"? If yes then the problem isn't the instructions - it's the underlying installation.

Open Control Panel
    Select Programs and Features
    Let the list complete then find and select Microsoft Word 2000 (or however it is listed - might be Microsoft Office 2000)
    Select the Change option ... this should allow the installer to launch and provide a Repair option.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 6th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Ignore the 32/64bit issue I raised, Derrick. It was a false guess.
    Andy has stated so in post 17 and he knows far better than me.

Thanks for the posts about fixes via control panel. New to me and will try that in future.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 7th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 6,941 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    derrick
    No you didn't - I quoted what you actually said.

I don't understand what "when I try using 2002" means ... did you mean "when I try to follow the instructions for 2002"? If yes then the problem isn't the instructions - it's the underlying installation.

Open Control Panel
    Select Programs and Features
    Let the list complete then find and select Microsoft Word 2000 (or however it is listed - might be Microsoft Office 2000)
    Select the Change option ... this should allow the installer to launch and provide a Repair option.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Yes that is what I meant as I was replying, (quoting the link), to the post re the link and its instructions.

I have tried the repair and let the program restart the computer but the problem remains

When closing Word the following box appears:

Microsoft Word for Windows has stopped working.
    Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.”

The wording then changes to:
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

And a box saying “Close program”, clicking on this closes Word.

If I have multiple Word docs opened all of them will close down correctly until the last one, (or single if only one opened), when it does as above.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    DoaM
    No idea what the problem is. If it was me I'd be uninstalling Office 2000 and either taking up Andy Pix's offer of Office 2007 or reinstalling Office 2000 in compatibility mode for XP SP3.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin