Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 6,952Posts
    • 2,263Thanks
    derrick
    Word links
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    Word links 6th Oct 17 at 10:24 AM
    I am and have been using a copy of Word, 2000 (9.0.2720), for a very long time and am happy with it except for one thing.

I used to be able to copy an url, place it in a Word document and it became a clickable link, however for quite a while, (could be since I got a new computer using Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) over 12 months ago), it will not allow this just, keeping the url in black font.

Prior to Pro 7 I was using XP and had no problems with this, even now if I copy the url into Apache Open Office 4.1.1 the link becomes clickable.

Is there something I can do to overcome this problem short of what I am doing which is pasting the link into Open Office then C&P into Word, (please don't suggest using Office as I don't like it).

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    Insert >> Hyperlink?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    Insert >> Hyperlink?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    No, if I copy and paste an address from the search box into Open Office I can then click on it so I to that page, but if I do the same in Word it just remains as text, I.e not clickable.

• debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 8,299 Posts
    • 6,260 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    Did you try as DoaM suggested Insert Hyperlink , I remember vaguely Ctrl+K does the same
    or
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/use-this-tip-to-save-time-editing-hyperlinks-in-word-97-2000/
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    Did you try as DoaM suggested Insert Hyperlink , I remember vaguely Ctrl+K does the same
    or
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/use-this-tip-to-save-time-editing-hyperlinks-in-word-97-2000/
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

I have now and it does work, but does not address my original question as to why I cannot just copy the url and paste it into Word as I did with XP and can still do with Open Office. Or is it something to do with Windows 7 Pro?

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    There is a check box somewhere in advanced settings that controls this behaviour.
    I forget exactly where it is now but it will be quite obvious when you see it
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    There is a check box somewhere in advanced settings that controls this behaviour.
    I forget exactly where it is now but it will be quite obvious when you see it
    Originally posted by AndyPix

I will have a look later, but I am sure I did not alter anything when I changed from XP to Windows 7 and loaded Word.

• Geodark
    • By Geodark 6th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    I will have a look later, but I am sure I did not alter anything when I changed from XP to Windows 7 and loaded Word.

Originally posted by derrick
    So its a totally different computer with a different install of Word? it isnt just a case of changing from XP to 7. Could it be that at some point in the distant past you had changed this setting on your old machine?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    I have now and it does work, but does not address my original question as to why I cannot just copy the url and paste it into Word as I did with XP and can still do with Open Office.
    I couldn't answer your original question so I offered a workaround solution that was easier than what you were considering.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    So its a totally different computer with a different install of Word? it isnt just a case of changing from XP to 7. Could it be that at some point in the distant past you had changed this setting on your old machine?
    Originally posted by Geodark

Different computer, XP on original computer, Windows Pro 7 on new computer, same Word 2000 as on the XP, no change in settings, worked OK on XP.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    DoaM
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/291182/frequently-asked-questions-about-hyperlinks-in-word

Do the reverse of what that says for "How do I turn off automatic hyperlinks?"
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^^^^^ Boom
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/291182/frequently-asked-questions-about-hyperlinks-in-word

Do the reverse of what that says for "How do I turn off automatic hyperlinks?"
    Originally posted by DoaM

Can't do that as :
    1) it only goes back to Word 2002, and when I try using 2002 when I click on Tools I get the spinning circle then, "Microsoft Word for Windows has stopped working", then tells me to close the programme.

2) I get the same message when I close Word after using it, never got this using XP but have had it since new computer with Windows 7 Pro.

it is the same Word 2000 CD that I used on XP without issue.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    AndyPix
    THANKS Doam ..

Derrick - Doam has answered your question

What you have there is a seperate issue. Perhaps a repair of office from control panel to start with ?
    (We get the fact that you are using the same disk now, on W7, that you previously used without issue on XP - you dont need to mention it every post )
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 8,299 Posts
    • 6,260 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Can't do that as :
    1) it only goes back to Word 2002, and when I try using 2002 when I click on Tools I get the spinning circle then, "Microsoft Word for Windows has stopped working", then tells me to close the programme.

2) I get the same message when I close Word after using it, never got this using XP but have had it since new computer with Windows 7 Pro.

it is the same Word 2000 CD that I used on XP without issue.

Ah but did you copy your old normal.dot file from XP , which probably has the settings from then? Guessing not
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 6th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Ummmm, closing is a problem....?.
    Running in compatibility mode as your original Word install was 32bit and now you are 64bit ?

Could be you cannot set default hyperlink action for same reason?

(I presume that 7 has a compatibility mode similar to win 10! Perhaps someone can confirm? I have had closing issues when 32bit progs have not been 'forced' to run in compatible mode....so just a guess.....)
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ 32 bit programs can be installed fine on 64 bit machines.

They just run in WindowsOnWindows .. Its not a problem

Derrick - I have spare office 2007 if you want to give that a go ?
    Last edited by AndyPix; 06-10-2017 at 3:20 PM.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    THANKS Doam ..

Derrick - Doam has answered your question
    Yes but as I said in post #13, "it only goes back to Word 2002", and I have 2000.

Derrick - I have spare office 2007 if you want to give that a go ?
    Someone gave me a code to this,(or 2003), but I did not like it, to busy, just require something simple but not Office, looks like I will just put up with as is. I don't use it a lot but it seems like a combination of problems, 32/64 bit, or from post #15, "Ah but did you copy your old normal.dot file from XP , which probably has the settings from then? Guessing not", and would not know or require to do this as either could upset something else.

• derrick
    • By derrick 6th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    derrick
    What you have there is a seperate issue. Perhaps a repair of office from control panel to start with ?

Had a look in CP cannot find anything that suggests a repair to Word?

Looks like it may be the 32/64 bit issue.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    DoaM
    Yes but as I said in post #13, "it only goes back to Word 2002", and I have 2000.
    Logically you'd check in Word 2000 for the same or very similar setting?

I doubt any of us has Word 2000 installed anywhere so won't be able to physically check the exact settings, but the principle will be the same in Word 2002/2003 and Word 2000. (The ribbon bar didn't come about until Word 2007 as I recall - prior versions all had the same look and feel).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,310Users online

Martin's Twitter