Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uknick
    • By uknick 6th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 711Posts
    • 319Thanks
    uknick
    HMRC changed my personal tax code, why?
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    HMRC changed my personal tax code, why? 6th Oct 17 at 9:36 AM
    At the start of this tax year HMRC told me my allowance for the year would be £10,500, made up from

personal allowance £11,500
    add savings allowance £1,000
    less expected savings income £2,000

Now they tell me it's gone back to £11,500.

When I look at my HMRC personal tax account no explanation is given other than I have the £11,500 personal allowance.

I've no issue with only having £11,500 as I do a SA each year so will pay/receive any tax differences when I submit.

But, I'm curious why they've made the change. Anybody on here experienced this?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 6th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    Have you recently sent them your 2016:17 tax return?

And if you look on your personal tax account on gov.uk you can see more detailed information about what payroll details your employer or pension company have been sending HMRC.

Most likely explanation is that HMRC don't think you will have any tax to pay on your savings interest. Which could be for one of two reasons, your savings interest has reduced or your savings interest has stayed the same but your PAYE income has reduced so there is now no tax to pay on the savings interest.

And there isn't actually any savings "allowance", all savings income which was previously taxable still is taxable but some can be taxed at 0% rate of tax
    • uknick
    • By uknick 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    uknick
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    It did change after I'd submitted my return for 16-17, but the interest declared there exceeded £2k, which is about the same it was for the previous year. In addition my pension will go up in 2017-18.

My personal account just says tax code calculated on the personal allowance alone. In April, as I said, it had taken into account £2k of savings income. £ to a p, it'll change again during the year.

I stand corrected on the terminology, but you're right to point it out as tax is all about pedantry
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 6th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    It is probably something to do with your pension income then. HMRC get real time information now from pension companies so if your pension income appears low that may be what has caused the change.

What does your personal account show for your pension? Mine has an estimate of what HMRC think it's going to be which seems to be based on the payslip info submitted so far this year.

Pedantry is all in the eye of the beholder! An elderly married pensioner with a decent (but not massive) pension who has £1000 interest which they think is "tax free" by virtue of the Personal Savings Allowance will be somewhat disappointed when they discover that the "allowance" has not stopped them from having £1000 extra taxable income and as a consequence an extra £50 added to their tax bill
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 06-10-2017 at 1:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

475Posts Today

3,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin