Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 59,256Posts
    • 42,000Thanks
    soolin
    Possible Royal Mail strikes
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    Possible Royal Mail strikes 6th Oct 17 at 9:33 AM
    I just had this message on my business account, might be worth keeping an eye out for news.

Dear customers,
    As you may be aware, the members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) have voted to take industrial action. It’s business as usual as talks continue with the CWU.
    We believe any strike action taken before the dispute resolution procedures have been followed would be unlawful.
    We are committed to further talks as a matter of urgency to reach agreement with the CWU to prevent any disruption to your services.
    !
    Please post as normal.
    Find out more at www.royalmail.com/latest-news.
    Kind regards,
    Click & Drop Support
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • goodfella66
    • By goodfella66 6th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    goodfella66
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    They are talking of a 2 day strike from Thursday 19th October.

May just close my Ebay shop for a few days. I remember all the hassle from before.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 7,408 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:18 PM

May just close my Ebay shop for a few days. I remember all the hassle from before.
    Originally posted by goodfella66
    We will hold our RMT packages over the period as it causes so much backlog.

The CWU is planning industrial disruption at or after 11am on Thursday 19 October to before 11am Saturday 21 October 2017.
    • goodfella66
    • By goodfella66 6th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    goodfella66
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    It's in effect 4 days because I doubt much would get done until the Monday
    • This Year
    • By This Year 6th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 5,268 Thanks
    This Year
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:14 PM

That's what I'll be doing.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 59,256 Posts
    • 42,000 Thanks
    soolin
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    On the basis that ebay rarely acknowledge strikes or delays, I suspect I too will be closing my shop for a few days, the damage a run of late defects could do is probably not worth the risk.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 59,256 Posts
    • 42,000 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    I will be bumping this as I think if this strike goes ahead some sellers could face real issues with late defects. Looking at discussions across various boards some sellers have been assured by ebay that delays will be considered should a late occur , however others, including some very large sellers have been told that due to the amount of warning we have had that sellers are expected to make other arrangements to ensure that buyers are not affected and it remains our choice whether to risk a late or not by choosing to use RM.

As it stands at the moment RM will strike on the 19th and 20th unless the legal action to stop it is successful or the unions call off the strike. That means no post movement on those two days resulting in a backlog. Smaller sellers using post offices might be falsely re assured when POs are still open- however it is likely that their post if accepted will just sit in the shop until Saturday at the earliest.

Then on Saturday they will have a short working day as usual, but with 2 full days of backlog from Post offices that were open, this could rumble through to the Monday before being sorted.

Basically therefore sellers risk lates for anything that is still in the RM network after Wednesday's deliveries. So even sending something 2nd class on Monday or Tuesday Is likely to mean it sits in an office somewhere for the best part of a week.

Unless ebay guarantee that the late defects will automatically be suspended during this entire period- possibly even from this coming weekend I fear sellers may face real issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2017/oct/09/royal-mail-strike-pensions-pay-jobs
    New to Forum? Guide
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 32,484 Posts
    • 27,238 Thanks
    custardy
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    I will be bumping this as I think if this strike goes ahead some sellers could face real issues with late defects. Looking at discussions across various boards some sellers have been assured by ebay that delays will be considered should a late occur , however others, including some very large sellers have been told that due to the amount of warning we have had that sellers are expected to make other arrangements to ensure that buyers are not affected and it remains our choice whether to risk a late or not by choosing to use RM.

As it stands at the moment RM will strike on the 19th and 20th unless the legal action to stop it is successful or the unions call off the strike. That means no post movement on those two days resulting in a backlog. Smaller sellers using post offices might be falsely re assured when POs are still open- however it is likely that their post if accepted will just sit in the shop until Saturday at the earliest.

Then on Saturday they will have a short working day as usual, but with 2 full days of backlog from Post offices that were open, this could rumble through to the Monday before being sorted.

Basically therefore sellers risk lates for anything that is still in the RM network after Wednesday's deliveries. So even sending something 2nd class on Monday or Tuesday Is likely to mean it sits in an office somewhere for the best part of a week.

Unless ebay guarantee that the late defects will automatically be suspended during this entire period- possibly even from this coming weekend I fear sellers may face real issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2017/oct/09/royal-mail-strike-pensions-pay-jobs
    Originally posted by soolin
    It will rumble beyond Monday from a 2 day strike.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 59,256 Posts
    • 42,000 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    It will rumble beyond Monday from a 2 day strike.
    Originally posted by custardy
    I feared as much and am glad you have posted on this thread, I hoped you would.

I'm always afraid of being too pessimistic, but looking at other ebay forums now I'm rather surprised at how many people don't check their late defects and do nothing until they get the 'you are restricted' email, by which point it is often too late.

I think I may well shut up shop from Monday after my post run on that day, and then re open on Friday but with a 3 day dispatch time (post on Monday). Even then I think I'm pushing it a bit.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 32,484 Posts
    • 27,238 Thanks
    custardy
    I feared as much and am glad you have posted on this thread, I hoped you would.

I'm always afraid of being too pessimistic, but looking at other ebay forums now I'm rather surprised at how many people don't check their late defects and do nothing until they get the 'you are restricted' email, by which point it is often too late.

I think I may well shut up shop from Monday after my post run on that day, and then re open on Friday but with a 3 day dispatch time (post on Monday). Even then I think I'm pushing it a bit.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I posted a thread here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5721732

I hope not but given current relations,it could snuff out before Thursday or build into a business killer.
    • hyr6783
    • By hyr6783 11th Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    hyr6783
    Can anyone advise please. I'm a private seller (trying to declutter) no ebay shop and I have 5 BIN items currently up with a couple of weeks left. Not high value and free P&P on all (RM 2nd class)

Was thinking about a few options to offset potential problems caused by the strike if it does go ahead. Do I....

* Edit the postage section on the listings, changing from royal mail to hermes (which should be £2.75 instead of £2.90), Unsure as never used hermes before and the drop off location is fairly difficult for me to get to.

* Increase the despatch time by a few days.

* Cancel the listings entirely and re-list when the strike action is over. If I do this are there any consequences for me? I know you are penalised for ending auctions early but unsure about BIN listings.

Thankyou in advance.
    • goodfella66
    • By goodfella66 12th Oct 17, 5:58 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    goodfella66
    If your item can go Hermes, I'd send it Hermes. Just make sure you change the courier to Hermes on Ebay...some buyers can get a little prissy otherwise!
    • This Year
    • By This Year 12th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 5,268 Thanks
    This Year
    The strike is off - for now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41601179
    • hyr6783
    • By hyr6783 12th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    hyr6783
    If your item can go Hermes, I'd send it Hermes. Just make sure you change the courier to Hermes on Ebay...some buyers can get a little prissy otherwise!
    Thankyou for the helpful reply. Looks like I won't need to change anything for now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,254Posts Today

8,901Users online

Martin's Twitter