Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickenman1108
    • By Chickenman1108 6th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chickenman1108
    New Bank Account b4 Mortgage
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    New Bank Account b4 Mortgage 6th Oct 17 at 8:43 AM
    Hi All
    Random question.
    I have heard that switching bank accounts in the lead-up to applying for a mortgage could potentially harm my chances of getting a mortgage as it'd mean a credit search on my file.
    I dont actually plan to switch my bank account, but my partner and I were thinking of opening a joint bank account to make paying things (deposit, legal fees etc) simpler (and we'd continue to use it after completion to pay mortgage and bills etc).
    Obviously this will still involve a credit search on us both (as all the accounts we are looking at have overdrafts etc). Could this still harm us?
    We've worked really hard to make sure we're 100% ready for our mortgage application so I dont want to ruin things (which would be ironic as the whole point of the joint account is to help us manage our money better).
    It's not the end of the world if we dont open one - but I just thought I'd check
    Thanks a lot
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 13,682 Posts
    • 14,143 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    It's very unlikely to have an impact, but why take any risk at all at this stage?
    • Debtslayer
    • By Debtslayer 6th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Debtslayer
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    I wouldn't risk it. Get your mortgage first and then open a joint account afterwards if you want to
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036 Target MED: 2026
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £473.20
    MFW No 124
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin