Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 11,127Posts
    • 62,073Thanks
    kittie
    Sourdough and long fermentation specifically
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    Sourdough and long fermentation specifically 6th Oct 17 at 8:27 AM
    I have been a long time sourdough baker, I do have periods when I just let the starter go to sleep but it is easy to revive. I am back into a sd phase, it has taken me three days and my starter is ready to climb out of its pot. I feed it with any flour, 00 makes it revive quickly and rye gives it sourness. Over the past few days, I have fed it with four different flours, its a greedy thing and will devour all of them

I also like long fermentation bread, just slow bread, using the fridge. I always use organic flours for all my breads. This can be made with sd or yeast or both

These breads cost a lot in the supermarket and when they say sourdough, well it is often a blob of sourdough in with yeast. Sd and yeast do work well together and you do get the good `explosive` rise but generally I am a purist and don`t put yeast or additives in but you can do

I have the genes and always come back to home baked bread. I do buy sd sometimes but an organic sd 400g spelt loaf was £3.29 last week. I am making a larger sd organic spelt loaf today, it will cost me £1. I have my ways, I use a peel, lame, banneton, cloche and so on but there are ways to get around all of these things
    Last edited by kittie; 06-10-2017 at 8:36 AM.
Page 1
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 11,127 Posts
    • 62,073 Thanks
    kittie
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    Today I have fed my starter with a bit of strong white, spelt, 00 and some peasant heritage flour containing ryes and pea and bean. It already looks as though it wants to get going so I may slow it down in the fridge as I want to bake this afternoon

In one bowl I have a spelt/salt mix, in another a mix of thirds peasant flour, flour with lots of crunchy malt flakes and strong white and salt. Just 500g in each. I will bake both in tins as I want wet doughs and cannot be bothered with the bannetons today. Later I will put water on top of both, lightly mix and leave for half an hour or so. This will give me much tastier bread and it will be easier to handle. Then I will add the same sd to both and basically knead gently, stretch and fold, several times
    Last edited by kittie; 06-10-2017 at 8:38 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter