Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 2,840Posts
    • 38,358Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 6 October 2017
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 6 October 2017 6th Oct 17 at 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 6 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark but at last blustery weather seems to have gone away, forecast is for a decent day today, so will be getting the washing pegged out on the line, it's ready in the basket, as tomorrow looks yukky.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, mash, peas and gravy, tonight will be something easy to shove on a tray in the oven, probably chicken and bacon kievs, chips, beans/veg for the menfolk, I'll probably have mushroom omelette and salad or stir fry veg.

Due to going to training for work yesterday I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, so I'll be trying to catch up today - I'll be heading to the SM first thing. I need to get the ironing done also, as I prefer to not have too much to do on a Saturday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 06-10-2017 at 6:28 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 21,526 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Not sure what today's weather is like but we could do with a re-run of yesterday's weather, when it was like summer in the warm sunshine.

I feel half doped this morning so just dosing myself with strong coffee in readiness for the chaos when I wake the girls up. Then a busy day of playing catch up ahead. A basket full of washing to tackle (and hopefully peg out) before the much needed Friday Tidy and clean round. Then this afternoon a quick foray to the sm for a top up shop. Still trying to live from the freezers and cupboards and can actually see some room in them!

No idea what today's menu is to be. Probably hm red pepper soup (from freezer) and a bagel for lunch. Maybe fish tonight.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) to all in need. And thanks to NANNYWINDOW for understanding. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 31,685 Thanks
    Floss
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    Morning all....

Slept really badly, must gave seen every hour until 4am when I got about 2 hours sleep. Now waiting for kettle to boil for a cup of black builders-strength tea to wake me up as I have an appointment at 9.30 so can't risk the chance of sleeping thru my alarm

Laundry to put thru washer, towels for TD were washed overnight. Chicken soup for lunch as we are eating out with DH's niece tonight.

Quiet weekend planned - coffee with niece tomorrow before she leaves for home followed by a lazy afternoon then allotment on Sunday.

Have a good day all, hugs to those who would like one.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 6th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 40,530 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    Morning All

The weather was lovely yesterday, it made such a change in everyone's mood. When I got home from work I opened all the windows and gave the house a good airing. Also gave my bedroom a deep clean, it was lovely to get into a nice clean bed and I slept like a log.

Early finish for me today, will call at the allotment on the way home to see what, if anything, is growing then I'll tackle another room for a good clean.

Slow down TA, you'll meet yourself coming back soon!

Happy Friday! Take care XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 6th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    • 6,451 Posts
    • 89,202 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Bit dark and gloomy here atm but its meant to be a lovely day here later on, I hops so it would be nice to see some sun.

Off to work for me but its Friday and tonight is wine and takeaway I love Fridays and we have a really calm group at work too, all in all its a good day.

Wont be a lot of housework done tonight but lots to do tomorrow, including hanging new blinds in the spare room and finishing taking the paper off in dd's room. I also want to nip to M & S and treat us to a meal deal for dinner Saturday night.

Specky hugs to you and your dear nan, I do hope everything works out ok xx

Must get on have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 06-10-2017 at 7:12 AM.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 13,538 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    Morning all, it is my day off so I am going to the dentist foe a check up and as I need to do a work thing nearby in tge next few days, I have arranged to do that afterwards.

Washing is in the machine and will be ready for OH to put out. Not sure about getting the Friday tidy done, might be a mini-tidy.

Must get ready to get off Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Oct 17, 7:12 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 8,252 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:12 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting the thread nmlc.

nan and specky hugs

TA that journey sounds horrendous, it's hard enough having treatment without having to endure that, and incompetence at the hospital, I'm sorry that you both had such a horrid day.

Nelski I'm glad your mums heating is sorted, it's one less prblem for you as well which is good.

Yesterday turned into one of those days where all plans go out of the window.

I was just going out, went into the kitchen and realised that I was getting wet feet. It turns out that there was water coming from the back of the fridge/freezer. I managed to get an engineer out who said that it was beyond economical repair as it is 16 years old. I suppose it doesn’t owe me anything.

So I spent most of yesterday researching new fridge/freezers. I can’t decide which one to go for but need to make up my mind today really so that I can get one delivered on Monday. The engineer thought that the existing one will probably carry on for a few days or even two or three weeks but you never know. This is on top of needing to buy a new washing machine a month ago.

As well as sorting this out today I want to get the washing done and on the line in a minute as I forgot that yesterday. I have to go into town and collect a prescription later before I run out of my medication.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 06-10-2017 at 7:17 AM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 31,685 Thanks
    Floss
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    Hollyharvey look at Beko as they have metal backs as per new guidance, we have 2 freezers & a fridge all from AO at really good prices
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 34,219 Thanks
    Gers
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    Good morning folks.

It looks dry outside no overnight rain I have high hopes that today will stay dry.

My lazy day yesterday was lovely even it was rather less than lazy, more of a quiet gentle day interspersed with various tasks. And very nice it was too. I took an unmarked box out of the freezer for lunch and was delighted to find it was beef korma.

Last night I didn’t watch any TV at all. By 4pm’ish I was reading a book which caught my interest so just sat and read it all evening. I so enjoyed it.

Now I’m still under the duvet contemplating my day. I need to leave here by 12 noon to get to Dunoon by 2pm. I’m meeting a colleague who’s doing a handover of these unfortunate students. Happily I’m coming back home after the session and not going on to Glasgow.

As my day seems full of I hope to pass some onto everyone else. Happy Friday to all!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Nothing but blue skies this morning, despite having to scrape the ice off my car this morning. Wish I wasn't working to make the most of it.

Still a bit of a sombre mood in work today, so far, due to the passing of one of my colleagues mother. Meant to be a work night out tonight but I think that'll be on hold given the circumstances. Should that be case, then I'll be hosting some of my mates tonight.

Cauliflower mac and cheese for dinner tonight. New recipe. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the well wishes. I spoke with my gran and she's doing well and recovered from her trip to the hospital the other day. I'll see her again over the weekend and to check if I can help with anything. She's some woman.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright and sunny here in East Anglia but bbbrr cold, heating had clicked in when I first got up.
    We have just enjoyed a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs with rtc hot smoked salmon flakes, delicious but bit of a theme as we have salmon for supper tonight, oh well, all that omega will be good for us.
    Lulu was a good girl for the horsey dentist yesterday, the whole procedure obviously was a surprise for her so not sure if she has seen one before and the dentist said her teeth were quite sharp so good it was done.
    She was supposed to see the farrier today but have just heard that he is poorly and will come next week now so that will give her and my purse a rest!
    Need to do a clean this morning and get the bed changed, towels were done yesterday.

We have a Samsung FF Holly which we are very pleased with.

Hugs to all having a rough time at the moment, have a good day folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,310 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Beautiful day here sun is shining and perfect blue sky

Great day out yesterday London was at its best and the sun shone all day. We had a train picnic to start the day with a few cheeky glasses of prosecco to keep with our book club reputation First on the list was the sky garden in the walkie talkie building ...amazing views of London which is such a beautiful city (nice G+Ts here too )
    Next on the agenda was the thames trip with afternoon tea. It was like a summers day by now so couldn't have been more perfect. Couple more bars were 'tested ' for cocktail quality then back to Euston and home. Lots crammed in and my hip is moaning today but so worth it

Over to mums today (back to earth with a crash lol) Morrisons first then i will take her to lunch. Hopefully she is in a better mood now the heatings on.

sending hugs to TA and specky's nan.

Have a great day all
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 15,641 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

AO are the people for the fridge freezer, Look at Indesit and Beko. The last one I bought, not from AO, was a hotpoint and I hate it!! I have had it 7 years so its up for change next year......will be glad to see the back of it.

Rain over Wednesday night so no watering yesterday of the new grass, tomorrow it is to rain in the morning, so it may be Monday before we need to put the hose on.

OH slept ok last night, I did not woke about 1.30am and have just dozed on and off since then.

Bright morning I am hoping to get washing dried, have the bath towels in the washer along with some white stuff.

Harvest supper tomorrow night at the chapel, we are taking our neighbour with us, fish and chips tonight.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 15,387 Posts
    • 125,355 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the 'smoke' Nelski Was the Skygarden worth going to ? my DD is thinking of going with me next April as part of my London birthday trip.
    We have a complete day out 'up west' every spring just the two of us and try to do something different every year.G&Ts sound right up my street as well

Speky sending you a hug from Kent for you and your lovely Gran ,she sounds like a lovely lady, try not to worry though.

H/harvey things always seem to break down at once don't they especially white goods

T/A you really must start to try and take it easy honey Its a real pain when folk don't synchronise treatments isn't it and you really don't need it on top of everything else to give you even more stress.

Well the sun is up and shining already and although its a bit nippy (I stuck my head outside to see if I need a coat when I go out) about 16c already so I will do with a thick cardi today

History this afternoon which I always enjoy, and we are doing different stuff this term Last week it was roads and hedgerows and how they evolved ,this week we have 'tramps and travellers' so it should be quite entertaining.

Digging around my freezer for meals this week and just waiting for the unidentified object that I pulled out to defrost a bit so I can see whats for dinner tonight definitely freezer roulette at the moment

Hope you all have a good and frugal Friday

Take care chums

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 07-10-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,310 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good Morning all

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the 'smoke' Nelski Was the Skygarden worth going to ? my DD is thinking of going with me next April as part of my London birthday trip.
    We have a complete day out 'up west' every spring just the two of us and try to do something different every year.G&Ts sound right up my street as well

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    100% recommend it Jackie the views are awesome and the indoor garden is lovely. Even better its free but you do have to book your slot. Once you are up there you can stay as long as you like and I have to say those G+Ts are are some of the best I have ever had.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 6th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 18,351 Thanks
    snoozer
    Speky, I'm sending god health wishes for your Gran. My children no longer have their Grandparents and I know they miss them (especially DD who was very close to DH's mum).

I'm packing to go to DD's for the weekend so that she cn see Ziggypup, then she (pup) comes back to us for another week while DD goes to Berlin to some sort of alcohol show (work of course). She said that she enjoyed the filming for the gadget show although it was a long day, I'll just need to watch out for it being aired now.

We've had a very spendy few weeks, although all planned and budgeted for. The biggest thing was a new car which we got yesterday. I hold my hands up to buying the fabric for a quilt I want to make - sometimes I just can't resist.
    • elona
    • By elona 6th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 59,414 Thanks
    elona
    Looks like a nice day here so have put out one load of washing and some duvet covers have just finished washing and are ready to hang out. The laundry yesterday was not quite dry so am giving things a turn in the tumble dryer.

Spare beds were changed yesterday and bedding has been washed and just need to battle the super king duvet cover for my bed.

TA

Would hospital transport be any easier for you both? When we were going to Leeds every day a few years ago we saw quite a few people who were collected and taken home. We were lucky that DH was able to drive for most of the time and for the last week of treatment we either had a dd drive us in or got a taxi.

I need to go and pick up a prescription later and will try to get fitted in for a haircut as I look a bit shaggy! Youngest dd is staying over tonight and other dds are taking me to the seaside on Saturday and staying overnight so looks like a busy weekend.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 38,358 Thanks
    nmlc
    Afternoon everyone

I can't remember who was looking for a new fridge/freezer and a suggestion to look at Beko from someone - I've had a Beko washing machine and dishwasher - absolute rubbish, even the engineer that finished up visiting us on a regular basis due to them being useless, said if it wasn't for them he'd not have hardly any work. I only kept both products for as long as the warranty lasted and replaced both with much better brands and haven't suffered the same problems. The dishwasher I had went wrong after 3 weeks, and then had the same fault on a regular basis.

Sorry wouldn't recommend them at all. But AO are a brilliant company, a few years back I needed a new appliance the week before xmas and I was able to go online buy it, pay a bit extra for next day delivery and they delivered on time and the delivery men were so helpful.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • elona
    • By elona 6th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 59,414 Thanks
    elona
    nmlc

I agree with you about AO. Seven years ago I wanted a new gas hob, double oven and fridge freezer and compared prices from various sites for the exact same items. AO were the best price and were very helpful, even my husband and dds were impressed at the money I saved.

I managed to get a hair appointment for 1.15 and was getting changed feeling pleased I would be respectable looking for dds or dd arriving at six. I have had two cold callers at the door this morning even though it is an area that should not get them and there is a notice at the door so when there was a persistent tapping at the door I was not pleased. It turned out to be my dds popping in to drop stuff off on their way to York to shop.

Will need to get food in for a meal tonight and decide what dds can bring me tomorrow for a home cooked meal for five or six of us. Might get some mince and cook it tonight as a base for a meal tomorrow.

DDs commented how even if they pop in unexpectedly the house is always looking good and I feel a bit guilty since I have not told them I have a cleaner now for a couple of hours a week

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 6th Oct 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 18,351 Thanks
    snoozer
    Elona, tell them, they will probably be pleased that you are taking the initiative and looking after your own health and wellbeing. I would have put the flags up if my parents had employed a cleaner but dad was totally set against having anyone else in the house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,629Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin