Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Acer2017
    • By Acer2017 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Acer2017
    Tied Cottage
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    Tied Cottage 5th Oct 17 at 9:56 PM
    Hi all, my first post here after searching the Internet for advice.

I'm a Head Gardener at a Country house, ive been here about 20 months and enjoy it, having put my own stamp on the garden. I live in a cottage as part of my renumeration.

I get on great with my retired boss and his wife however my boss is very much I'll do as I like when I like and lets himself into my cottage as he pleases (always when I'm not there) without the required 24 hours notice as written in our employment and tenancy contracts.

I am off on holiday this week and yesterday went out for the other half's birthday during the day. My boss had gone in with a decorator to paint one corner of a room (why not the whole room, I don't know) without informing me, just gone in and moved furniture and personal paperwork around. In the mean time he had put two of my 3 dogs into the kitchen on the hard floor and left my younger dog in her crate. All were not happy by the time we got home, and who can blame them!

My oldest dog suffers with arthritis and I've had to take him to the vets today for stronger medication as it has been set off again in a bad way from being laid on the cold hard floor. So that's a lot of pain for the dog and £60 for me that could have been avoided. Not mention my other halfs knickers being on the drier by the radiator etc!!!

It's a difficult situation for me as I'm tied in with my job and would be homeless if I upset the apple cart, but this latest episode has driven me mad today and I've had enough now. If only for the sake of my dogs!! If it doesn't improve I'll be off.

My question is, has anyone been in tied housing and if so, have you ever suffered such a level of intrusion/ lack of respect?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thank you
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 5th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    Perhaps have a general chat with him and explain how you feel. It sounds like going I'm heavy handed would be difficult for both of you.

He may just not realise.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Oct 17, 3:48 AM
    • 23,297 Posts
    • 88,877 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:48 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:48 AM
    My question is, has anyone been in tied housing and if so, have you ever suffered such a level of intrusion/ lack of respect?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thank you
    Originally posted by Acer2017
    Tied housing on estates is part of a bygone way of life, where deference to the squire and the vicar was expected. As a child, I was supposed to tip my school cap to both of them, but I don't remember either treating us with disrespect. That was 60 years ago!

I don't suppose your boss foresaw the consequences of his actions, so I think he should be made aware of the problem you had and the vet's bill. In raising that, I'd also mention that I wish to be forewarned if he wants to undertake maintenance in my home, but as above, not in a confrontational way.

If such an intrusion happened again, I'd definitely change the locks. Others may say do this immediately, but I'd just lay down a marker for future behaviour at this stage.

Ultimately, your working relationship has to be founded on rules which you both agree to and respect. He has overstepped the mark, but so do many employees, who usually get a warning before firm action is taken.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 8,969 Posts
    • 11,843 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    The legalities are detailed in Shelter's website. See there for your rights.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 6th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    We used to live in tied houses and never did anyone from the estate enter the house without knocking and being invited in. In fact I doubt anyone else had keys. I would remind your manager that your house is part of your working arrangement and you are entitled to privacy.
    • Acer2017
    • By Acer2017 6th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Acer2017
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    Thank you for your replies.

I am not allowed to change the locks thus my boss has free reign to come in. I do have a bolt and can go out the back door but having tried that once when out he tried to go in and played hell when he couldn't. I did say at that point he should not be in without my consent or knowledge but he is the type who won't be told and wouldnt listen anyway.

Sticky situation!
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    Put up larger-than-life naked photos of yourself all round the property. That might make him think twice about coming in again

No offence meant if you are in fact a beautiful person.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 6th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    aneary
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    Sit him down explain how unhappy you are (calmly) show him the agreements that say he cannot come in without prior agreement.

Explain that if it continues you may have to look for alternative work.

(Note. if you do have to leave you could state constuctive dismissal).
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    I would bolt the door and use the back as you have previously. When challenged by your boss you will have to stand your ground with him. You can start by saying something like - "I really don't want to fall out with you over this but you simply can not continue to invade my privacy in this way". Also, have a copy of your tenancy agreement available so you can point out that those are the terms that were agreed.
    Have you tried discussing it with his wife? Maybe she would be more reasonable than her husband.
    Unfortunately it isn't going to be resolved until you've confronted him over it. Good Luck, its a nasty situation to be in.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 60,243 Posts
    • 351,969 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Tell your boss that there've been some thefts of dogs from people's houses locally, so you've put a wireless alarm on the house "just to be sure" .... then get one. As it doesn't have to be "fitted" he can't complain .... and if he goes in he'll get a bit of a shock
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    xylophone
    the required 24 hours notice as written in our employment and tenancy contracts.
    I'd be inclined to write a polite letter to the employer (s).

Dear ......

As you know, the tenancy contract for my cottage does stipulate that you should give me twenty four hours notice of your requirement to gain entry.

Over the past months you have failed to do this and on the last occasion (date), this invasion of privacy very much distressed.....(name) whose personal items were open to view.

You caged the puppy in the travelling crate (where I found him on my return) and I needed to calm a very unhappy animal.

In addition, your locking my two older pet dogs into the kitchen without any bedding to cover the stone floor meant that they had to lie on a cold, hard surface, exacerbating Rover's arthritis.

Apart from the dog's discomfort, a trip to the vet and the purchase of additional pain relieving drugs has cost me £60.

I very much enjoy working here and would like to continue but I am afraid that unless you are able to confirm compliance with the terms of our contract, I shall feel compelled (although with great reluctance),to seek other employment.

Yours sincerely,

Acer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

7,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin