Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 5th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 89Posts
    • 14Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Money saving light-bulbs
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    Money saving light-bulbs 5th Oct 17 at 9:43 PM
    Not sure if I am posting on the right thread.
    But would like to know valued suggestions on what are the most effective money saving light bulbs - considering initial cost and running cost
Page 2
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Reductio ad Absurdum

You weren't comparing lm/W in post 11, you were rejecting that in favour of comparing power consumption alone.

I repeat again if you don't compare lamps of equivalent brightness the comparison is meaningless. What would you say if Tesco told you their bags of potatoes are half the price of Lidl's whilst neglecting to tell you they're also half the size? Why do you think there's legislation requiring that the package must tell you how much light (or potato) you're getting for your money?
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Oh for goodness sake. Do I have to repeat? If you are asking what is cheapest to run (i.e. regardless of lm/W) then the lowest wattage is cheapest.

Now you can choose to really pedantic and say that it would be cheaper to sit in darkness, but do you honestly come on to a forum without common sense and without presuming that the OP wants to know which would lamps are best from those easily or commercially viable.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 9th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Oh for goodness sake. Do I have to repeat? If you are asking what is cheapest to run (i.e. regardless of lm/W) then the lowest wattage is cheapest.

Now you can choose to really pedantic and say that it would be cheaper to sit in darkness, but do you honestly come on to a forum without common sense and without presuming that the OP wants to know which would lamps are best from those easily or commercially viable.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    And how is your contribution any better?
    Of course it's common sense that the lowest wattage uses the least energy. Here's another bit of common sense: Lamps are used to provide light. The energy they use is a by-product of their primary purpose.

No one is suggesting sitting in darkness to save money, we're saying that is the ultimate conclusion of the argument "No one cares about how bright a lamp is, just pick the lowest wattage"

And since you keep invoking the OP:
    Not sure if I am posting on the right thread.
    But would like to know valued suggestions on what are the most effective money saving light bulbs - considering initial cost and running cost
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Emphasis Mine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,747Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter