Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Apriljayne27
    • By Apriljayne27 5th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Apriljayne27
    Gumtree refund problem
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    Gumtree refund problem 5th Oct 17 at 8:01 PM
    So I'm new to this and I know this isn't an eBay related problem but really need some advice.

Last Wednesday I sold an old iPhone 5 I hadn't used in about a year on gumtree. The person that bought it text me on Thursday so say it wouldn't charge properly or hold charge so they wanted their money back. As it's an old iPhone, been in the box for about a year and the battery wasn't great last time I used it, I totally believed them and was happy to give them a full refund (I wasn't aware how bad it was so I felt bad I sold it at all).
    I didn't hear from them for three days then all of a sudden I get multiple messages and missed calls on Monday night which got progressively more angry saying they wanted their money. I told them when I was available on Tuesday and they never responded. Also messaged them today to see what's happening because I want it resolved but still no response.
    Something seems strange to me but I don't know what to do. Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to get as much information out.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    Gumtree is a face to face/cash platform. How did they pay and where did they meet you?
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 5th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    I had a leafleting job off Gumtree - it's not all face to face. It's better described as an online notice board.
    • Apriljayne27
    • By Apriljayne27 5th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apriljayne27
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    They came to my house and paid in cash so nothing to give me any concern
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    Ignore any future messages and try not to worry. You've done everything correctly.
    • Apriljayne27
    • By Apriljayne27 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apriljayne27
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    The only thing I'm worried about is if they then message me next week or even worse just turn up at my house. The money doesn't bother me because it's just been sat there since they sent me the first message saying they wanted it back, more than anything I just don't want to deal with them anymore
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 5th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 15,377 Posts
    • 20,965 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    The only thing I'm worried about is if they then message me next week or even worse just turn up at my house. The money doesn't bother me because it's just been sat there since they sent me the first message saying they wanted it back, more than anything I just don't want to deal with them anymore
    Originally posted by Apriljayne27
    Just politely suggest to them some dates and times that are convenient for them to return the phone for a refund and leave it at that.

When (if) they return it, check it is the same phone (serial number) before refunding.

perhaps get a big muscular friend to be there when they collect?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Apriljayne27
    • By Apriljayne27 5th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apriljayne27
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    I have given them times to come and sort it out over the next couple of days which they have read and not replied, unfortunately I have no way of checking the serial number as I didn't write it down before selling it. Good idea on getting someone muscular to be there with me though
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    They don't know you didn't have a note of the serial number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter