Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • singhini
    • By singhini 5th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 223Posts
    • 139Thanks
    singhini
    McAfee Antivirus
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    McAfee Antivirus 5th Oct 17 at 7:27 PM
    when I bought my laptop a few years back it came with 3 years of McAfee Antivirus already installed.

ive just started getting messages saying the licence is going to expire in November.

Before I just renew I thought I would ask if anyone can recommend any better antivirus software (sometimes I find the laptop runs slow and I suspect its McAfee slowing it but in McAfee's defence ive not had a virus issue over the 3 years of my laptop ownership).

Peoples thoughts are much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 5th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    A/V is only as good as the last update, I use the built in A/V that comes with Windows (Defender), supplemented with Malwarebytes anti-malware (paid for version that runs in the background). Neither caught the "call home" malware in Ccleaner, so I guess it's all a bit of a gamble. I ditched Ccleaner in favour of Bleachbit.

There is a school of thought that the built in A/V in Windows should be better than 3rd party ones as it's integrated into Windows. Your mileage may vary on that one though...
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 6th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    Mcafee doesn't have a good reputation and there is no need to pay so ditch it (there is a Mcafee tool to make sure it all gets removed) and use Windows defender or one of the other independent free ones like bitdefender.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    +1 here for Bitdefender (free version)

The reality is though that no AV product can guarantee to keep your PC virus-free. Bitdefender tends to score well in the AV comparison charts.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    Bank with Barclays Online then Kaspersky Internet Security is free .
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 6th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,077 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    Bank with Barclays Online then Kaspersky Internet Security is free .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Out of the fire and into the frying pan, perhaps?

(depends on how people regard Barclays, of course...)
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 6th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    Nothing wrong with Kaspersky
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    Out of the fire and into the frying pan, perhaps?

(depends on how people regard Barclays, of course...)
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Or Kaspersky! See todays Register (sorry the link doesn't seem to work):
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 06-10-2017 at 4:20 PM.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 6th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 13,443 Posts
    • 231,789 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    when I bought my laptop a few years back it came with 3 years of McAfee Antivirus already installed.

ive just started getting messages saying the licence is going to expire in November.

Before I just renew I thought I would ask if anyone can recommend any better antivirus software (sometimes I find the laptop runs slow and I suspect its McAfee slowing it but in McAfee's defence ive not had a virus issue over the 3 years of my laptop ownership).

Peoples thoughts are much appreciated.
    Originally posted by singhini
    I wouldn't touch McAfee. It is the first thing I uninstall on laptops. This legal "adware" comes with each prebuilt machine bundled. It is slow and just annoying with a low protection level.
    It would take a lot of convincing for me to move away from either Norton or Kaspersky.

I read number of malware testing websites and Norton and Kaspersky always seem to perform well. I would say that they have been the most consistent performers over the last few years.

Use the free 30-day trial for both products (or any other products you're interested in). After 2 months decide which one you liked the most - our own personal experiences may not be the same as what you may encounter, and you'd be better off seeing the products for yourself before spending money.

Remember to uninstall your antivirus one antivirus per machine more than one will cause conflicts.

Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • singhini
    • By singhini 6th Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    singhini
    Thank-you to all (very helpful comments from everyone).

I did suspect my laptop running slow was all down to McAfee but having paid for 3 years worth of antivirus (bundled into my purchase from the saleman at Currys PC World), i thought i may aswell use it since ive paid for it.

I was just going to renew it since its all installed on the laptop but i will pop over to see my bother and get my nephew to un-install it and look into the ones menioned: Norton, Kaspersky, Windows Defender, Bitdefender (i do have an account with Barclays so will look into this aswell)
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Thank-you to all (very helpful comments from everyone).

I did suspect my laptop running slow was all down to McAfee but having paid for 3 years worth of antivirus (bundled into my purchase from the saleman at Currys PC World), i thought i may aswell use it since ive paid for it.

I was just going to renew it since its all installed on the laptop but i will pop over to see my bother and get my nephew to un-install it and look into the ones menioned: Norton, Kaspersky, Windows Defender, Bitdefender (i do have an account with Barclays so will look into this aswell)
    Hehehe I hope your nephew can be bothered to do what his "man from UNCLE" wants... ignore me it just tickled my warped sense of humour.
    • singhini
    • By singhini 6th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    singhini
    Hehehe I hope your nephew can be bothered to do what his "man from UNCLE" wants... ignore me it just tickled my warped sense of humour.
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

rotfl

I cant post emoji's ?
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 6th Oct 17, 10:05 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    hans 2

Been running this for a few weeks.and no problems at all.

No pop ups or ads at all

Recommend to all if wanting free anti virus.

Items shown with gold crrwn? not available in free version
    Last edited by hans 2; 06-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem

rotfl
    Forum equivalents

I cant post emoji's ?
    Ok there
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    I wouldn't pay for an antivirus. The paid-for versions I've seen just come bundled with extra bloatware to slow down your PC.

In the past few years, I've found Avast to be the best at cleaning up infections. Even the free version is bloated -- chose a custom installation and only install the "file shield" and "web shield"... and if you use an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook, the "mail shield" too.

I very reluctantly paid for the Premium version of MalwareBytes 3, but found it to be really lightweight and it almost lives up to its claim of being an "antivirus replacement". However, I recently found that a few malicious files had been downloaded (in the user-uploaded cache files of an online game), which hadn't been detected.

I've installed Avast again, but without any of the shields -- I just run a manual scan every now and then. But I reckon most people would probably want the file and web shields enabled.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin