Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MightyQuinn
    • By MightyQuinn 5th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MightyQuinn
    Wix Apps
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    Wix Apps 5th Oct 17 at 6:44 PM
    Hi there.

I have recently been on website-creation duties for my small business. Nothing special or skilled, just throwing together a wix site and store that does the job. Maybe I deserve to be shafted for using wix!

On Saturday 30th September, late in the evening, I found a 3rd party app, Paypal Button by Powr.io that seemed to fulfill my needs, but to get sufficient functionality for my business I had to get the paid version. I checked the maker's website, everything seemed legit, and I saw a 30 day refund window promised both in their terms and in entries on their support pages. I paid up, added it to my site without playing with the settings or publishing the site, went to bed.

Next day, Sun 1st, I had a go at setting everything up, and after a while, found that the app was not suitable, it was too US-centric and couldn't be made sufficiently professional for a UK based company, nor did the options I had unlocked by paying provide me the tools I had expected for setting variable shipping prices the way I had hoped. Still thinking that powr.io seemed legit, I deleted the app from my site, cancelled the app from my wix account, and submitted a refund request through powr.io's needlessly complex support form. Expecting a reply monday or tuesday, I happily went about my business and found a far more suitable option which I set up and now have working splendidly.

Today, Thursday 5th October, I received a reply stating:
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you purchased the upgrade through the Wix App Market, you’ll need to cancel the subscription from inside your Wix account. You can find instructions for how to do this here: [redacted]

We unfortunately cannot issue refunds for purchases made through the Wix App Market. Wix handles the billing for App Market purchases and we do not have access to those transactions. If you have any questions about your payment, please contact Wix directly at: 1(800) 600-0949

Happy to help if you have any additional questions about your POWr apps!
    Best,
    Juwan
    A quick google of Wix's policy on third party app refunds states:
    It is not possible to receive a refund for a third-party app upgrade (apps not made by Wix).
    Some app upgrades are monthly subscriptions. Canceling your upgrade stops the renewal payment from occurring at the end of the month.
    Click here to learn how to cancel an app upgrade.
    As stated, I HAVE cancelled the app subscription, which was paid all-up-front for 2 years. It took me 1 day to go from purchasing the app to requesting a refund, and the app was only live on my site for short periods for testing purposes (since it was shoddily made enough that I couldn't test the shopping experience inside the sandbox preview mode, I had to publish the site to test
    the damned thing.

Now, seems I'm either I'm a victim of my own idiocy and lack of foresight and prior research, or else I have a right to a refund. If the former is the case please feel free to clip me around the ear and call me a numpty, but if contacting wix and/or powr.io and quoting uk legislation at them is going to help, I'd really appreciate a bit of help making a stand here.

Thank you for reading this far.
    Geoff
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11,380 Posts
    • 8,552 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    wix seem to be located in israel and contracts with them are subject to the laws of israel while powr.io seems to be located in the US and contracts with it are governed by the laws of california.

Not sure what UK legislation you were planning to quote but given UK law doesn't seem to apply to the contract, I very much doubt quoting UK law is going to have any effect.

Even under UK law you would not fit the definition of consumer and therefore would have no consumer rights. Businesses have very little (if any) protection in law as they're supposed to do due diligence.

You may just have to chalk this one up to experience - unless you're willing to go through the hassle of either researching laws in the relevant country and starting court action in that country (or hiring a solicitor in that country to do it all on your behalf).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • MightyQuinn
    • By MightyQuinn 5th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MightyQuinn
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    Ach, fair enough then. I assumed the law and my consumer rights as a uk citiven covered online sales of digital products and services to uk customers, I don't know why, honestly, I just hadn't considered the alternative. Thanks for the reply, I'm sure I can absorb the cost, bit of a bummer but it's a good lesson to have learnt.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 11,380 Posts
    • 8,552 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    Ach, fair enough then. I assumed the law and my consumer rights as a uk citiven covered online sales of digital products and services to uk customers, I don't know why, honestly, I just hadn't considered the alternative. Thanks for the reply, I'm sure I can absorb the cost, bit of a bummer but it's a good lesson to have learnt.
    Originally posted by MightyQuinn
    In future always at least check the T&C's for a governing law/jurisdiction clause - you really should read them all but at an absolute minimum, check the aforementioned by going to T&C's page, pressing ctrl & F and then searching for "govern". If the contract is governed by english or scots law and jurisdiction is english or scottish courts then you know should anything go wrong, you can take action against them here.

If you paid by card, perhaps try contacting your bank and seeing if they can help. You may need to evidence a breach of contract though.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Follow Martin