Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 758Posts
    • 269Thanks
    sevenhills
    Estate agent's selling fees in England
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    Estate agent's selling fees in England 5th Oct 17 at 6:32 PM
    Purple Bricks = £849

Other estate agents seem to want much more. I am trying to help a 90 year relative sell his house, but the one estate agent that I just had a online chat with, didn't want to tell me the fees they charge. That seems rather bizarre to me.
    I will keep trying.
    We will be selling in the next month or so, in LS27

Is there a compare site, I found this

http://cucompare.co.uk/get-instant-quotes/

Google says they charge 0.75% and 3.0%+VAT
    Last edited by sevenhills; 05-10-2017 at 8:22 PM.

Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 42,299 Posts
    • 49,141 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    No.

Invite 3 local agents round.

* get each to provide a vlaue at which they suggest marketing the property
    * get each to provide a vlaue at which they reealistically expect to sell
    * negotiate a % fee (1%? 1.5 max) for sole agency contract
    * Do not agree to a sole selling contract
    * negotiate a miimum contract term ( 6 weeks? 8 weeks max)
    * discuss how they will market including list of websites
    * how many colour phots? Floor plan? etc

Choose 1.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,548 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    Who will be 'in charge' of selling the property - you or your 90 year old relative?

Given that the vendor is 90 years old - I might prioritise EAs in a slightly different way from usual.

I might look for a more of an 'old school' EA, who might be better able to engage with the vendor, rather than a flash smooth-talking salesman in a shiny suit.

Also, if the property is more suited to 'older' buyers, prospective buyers might engage better with an 'old school' EA as well.

I believe that buyers and vendors manage viewings etc via an online portal with Purple bricks. That might put off 'older' buyers - as well as your relative.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    I'm selling with Purple Bricks, but in this case I agree, go with a 'traditional' agent.

If you want Purple Bricks to do the viewings, it will be £300 more anyway.

If you can negotiate a 1% fee, some basic research tells me in your postcode area then there may not be much difference in fees anyway. Obviously depends on the individual house so excuse me if I'm wrong.

However, an agent who won't tell you what their fees are? Definitely bizarre, just move on and find some who will.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 4,018 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    I'm selling with Purple Bricks, but in this case I agree, go with a 'traditional' agent.

If you want Purple Bricks to do the viewings, it will be £300 more anyway.

If you can negotiate a 1% fee, some basic research tells me in your postcode area then there may not be much difference in fees anyway. Obviously depends on the individual house so excuse me if I'm wrong.

However, an agent who won't tell you what their fees are? Definitely bizarre, just move on and find some who will.
    Originally posted by ceh209

If their not bothered, why should you in terms of being transparent with their fees
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 5th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    You’re near me
    Highly recommend Dacre Son & Hartley. The service wev received has been absolutely excellent, they are so lovely, really pro active, answer the phone and reply to you daytime, evenings and weekends and they are not charging us much more than Purple Bricks state (also read PB t&cs carefully as there are catches). I didn’t like the fact that everything Purple Bricks do is online as while it’s convenient sometimes, with something as expensive, complicated and important as buying/selling a house phone conversations with a a human are essential. The experience, knowledge and support we have received given that our purchase and sale has not been straight forward has been worth paying that bit extra for.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    Also, check out reviews on the allagents website. PB in my area were rated ok for selling but not great for the process after.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    Who will be 'in charge' of selling the property - you or your 90 year old relative?

Given that the vendor is 90 years old - I might prioritise EAs in a slightly different way from usual.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    I am thinking he will do things himself, I am just trying to help; he does have closer family that help a little.
    Even with my help Purple Bricks might be the wrong choice, but my relative will decide.

Invite 3 local agents round
    I will try to suggest 3 good ones to him.

Next door sold for £220k a short time ago, an online valuation put his house at £195k

• Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 5th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    As much as I generally dislike estate agents, you need to ask yourself if they could improve upon the selling price by 1.2% (less the cost of Purple Bricks). Even the big names (Knight Frank, Savills etc) will sell for 1% plus VAT these days.

I must admit when I see Purple Bricks properties on Rightmove, I think "cheapskate". If I see Foxtons, I think "overpriced", if I see Knight Frank/Savills, I think "top end" etc. See what agents are being used to sell comparable properties and get them in to quote.

Can you wait til spring? This is always a bad time of year to be selling.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 5th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Have a look at some Rightmove listings in your area. Has the agent used professional photos and have they given a floor plan? What are you getting for the fee? If you want to fetch a good price for your property it’s worth considering.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 5th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 5,415 Thanks
    kinger101
    An online EA is totally inappropriate in this case. I know PB can provide a service where agents do the viewings, but in my experience, it's extremely difficult to book a viewing as a buyer this way. You make a booking online (it shows all times as available), only for their agent to cancel the viewing and suggest some other time you cannot do.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 23,685 Posts
    • 89,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I am trying to help a 90 year relative sell his house, but the one estate agent that I just had a online chat with, didn't want to tell me the fees they charge. That seems rather bizarre to me.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    As it's negotiable, why would the agent commit to a particular fee before seeing the property?

When I negotiated with an agent over the sale of an elderly person's property I'd refurbished, the fact that she thought it would sell quickly made a difference to the fee.

Some places like that hang around on their books for ages.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    As it's negotiable, why would the agent commit to a particular fee before seeing the property?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    It was a local firm, but they are not at the top of my list to invite for as quote.
    None of them seem to want to display their prices, perhaps that has allowed online agents to flourish.

• Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    It was a local firm, but they are not at the top of my list to invite for as quote.
    None of them seem to want to display their prices, perhaps that has allowed online agents to flourish.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Fees are generally variable, and will depend on the nature of the specific property, the type of brochure and photography provided, the price the seller wants to ask. Almost all EAs will be prepared to negotiate fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter