Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jono987
    • By Jono987 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Jono987
    HMRC claiming i have underpaid (NIL tax code)
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    HMRC claiming i have underpaid (NIL tax code) 5th Oct 17 at 6:30 PM
    Hey everyone, i was made bankrupt on the 31st December 2016. I got a nil tax code shortly after until the end of the tax year.

I put this aside every month and then paid it to the official receiver like i was told to. I have just received a letter today saying i have underpaid tax by nearly £500 (the same amount i paid to the official receiver).

I thought the extra tax i didnt pay went to the official receiver and that was it, do i have to pay it twice? Once to the official receiver and again to the tax man?

Thanks for any help!
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    Sounds like an admin error somewhere.

Contact whoever is dealing with your bankruptcy and get them to sort it out because yes, you're not meant to pay twice.
    • Jono987
    • By Jono987 6th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Jono987
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    Thanks, i contacted HMRC and they are going to 'investigate' it but no idea how long it will take.

Im hesistant really to call my OR representative as im 2 months from discharge and it was mentioned i may get a BRO, dont really want to alert them to myself
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    Thanks, i contacted HMRC and they are going to 'investigate' it but no idea how long it will take.

Im hesistant really to call my OR representative as im 2 months from discharge and it was mentioned i may get a BRO, dont really want to alert them to myself
    Originally posted by Jono987

That's not how it works.

If you are going to get a BRU/O, you're going to get one, regardless of whether you talk to them or not. If it has been this long, it may well be they decided not to.

Get in touch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

5,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin