Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • psycrow57
    • By psycrow57 5th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 60Thanks
    psycrow57
    Confused by dividends for CTC calculations
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    Confused by dividends for CTC calculations 5th Oct 17 at 6:16 PM
    I'm struggling a bit with declaring dividends for our child tax credits calculation.

Basically, I submitted estimated figures for 2016-2017 which included my accurate salary for the year and the previous year's dividends amount (2015-2016).

Because the dividend amount isn't calculated until after the tax year is done, I don't know what the amount is or receive it until the following tax year. Say for example the dividend amount was £4000 for 2015-2016, I didn't get that information or any of the money until late 2016, which is actually 2016-2017, so I didn't get the income until then.

So my question is, is it correct to use the 2015-2016 dividend amount for 2016-2017 income, since that's when I got it? Or do I need to give the 2016-2017 figure once it's calculated, even though I won't get that money until this tax year? I tried to explain it to the person on the phone and they had no clue what I was saying.
Page 1
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 6th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    Assuming this is a final dividend (and not an interim) - what date was the 2015/16 one approved by the shareholders? What date is on the voucher?

Did it go on your tax return for 2015/16?

If so, tax credits work the same way. So you declare everything for the same tax year. You shouldn't mix tax years.

Your 2016/17 income needs to include your earnings plus any dividends that are on the tax return for 16/17. You have until 31 January 2018 to confirm that estimate as long as you did tell them your figures were estimated.

IQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin