Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 5th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,028Posts
    • 2,699Thanks
    helcat26
    Current Most Annoying Adverts
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    Current Most Annoying Adverts 5th Oct 17 at 6:13 PM
    Yes I know we have probably visited this topic before, but new monstrosities are out there!

What are the adverts on TV at the moment that you dislike most?

For me the bizarre Arnold Schwarzenegger head on caterpillar tracks PPI thing and the Skeletor Moneysupermarket one (am I allowed to say that?) are currently annoying.

But I also include anything that "sponsors" a program especially Boots and Dr Oetker as you just get so sick of the sight of them.

What is not appealing to you?
Page 2
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 6th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 8,141 Posts
    • 27,212 Thanks
    fairy lights

I agree with a lot of the others too. The Haribo adverts feel creepy and I don't like the moneysupermarket adverts either.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Whenever I see those Haribo adverts with the baby-voiced adults I always think there must be someone out there who has a fetish for that sort of thing.
    Just googled it - it's called Paraphilic infantilism.
    I'll stick to fruit pastilles.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 6th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 12,587 Posts
    • 12,239 Thanks
    Chris25
    There's a toyota (yaris, I think) ad and each time it comes on I think it's for sunglasses

Don't like the Arnie PPI ad - or one for Vanish which is badly dubbed - they get on my nerves
    • wunferall
    • By wunferall 6th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wunferall
    Go Com wotsit car insurance.
    As if the moustachioed vocalist wasn't bad enough on his own there's now some weird, plump furry being in the back seat of a car eating money that an idiot driver throws at it.
    I mean, just - why?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 14,859 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Anyone else encountered the Marmite ad that's trying to spoof DNA tests to say if you love or hate their product?

That makes me cringe and turn the TV/video off.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Ellie Goulding on the punchbag
    Originally posted by UKSBD
    She has 2 adverts! One for shampoo and the other for shoes. Can't escape her.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 6th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 80,738 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I'm sure I've mentioned this one before but the Uncle Ben's "teach your children to cook" one. Pretty much every time it comes on I end up screaming "It's NOT cooking!" at the telly.

All Haribo ads, mainly because people talking with the wrong voice is something which freaks me out - it could only be worse by having kids talking with adult voices.

I'm sure there are others but, as I most often watch recorded programmes, I'm fortunately not subjected to adverts too often.
    Originally posted by Izadora
    I quite like the Haribo ads and find them mildly humorous.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 6th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 80,738 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I get annoyed by any car advert showing a left hand drive version on a foreign road.
    That's all very well, but how does the right hand drive version perform on the Hanger Lane Gyratory during a downpour in February?

As for the Travelodge ads with the creepy puppets/dolls in bed with hoomans. Eugh.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 29,664 Posts
    • 109,007 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I loathe the M&Ms ad.........
    "Now the biting makes sense!"

shudder
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    Callie22
    She has 2 adverts! One for shampoo and the other for shoes. Can't escape her.
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    It's not very nice of me but whenever I see those adverts and hear her singing I can't help but think of those YouTube videos of screaming goats. There's just something about her voice I can't stand.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    Callie22
    This one drives me mad, I mean it's a bloody toothpaste company so of course they make toothpaste!!
    And nobody should ever get that excited about toothpaste.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    You do have to wonder what she thought a company called 'Oral B' was making ...
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    • 16,344 Posts
    • 28,619 Thanks
    Ames
    You do have to wonder what she thought a company called 'Oral B' was making ...
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Yes, it drives me mad too. I didn't know Oral B made anything except toothpaste (and brushes).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 22,616 Posts
    • 58,129 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Direct Line with the horrible godfather, gangster character who will sort things.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 7th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    creative gal
    The Go Compare advert- even more annoying with more characters. The new EE advert where Bacon randomly appears in the bloke's bathroom grates on me too- possibly due to it being on in seemingly every other ad break. It's a good job we record much of our tv viewing.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 14,859 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Direct Line with the horrible godfather, gangster character who will sort things.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    They're always the most expensive option for me for home insurance, so is that how they're paying for the Corvette that he drives in them?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 8,643 Posts
    • 13,173 Thanks
    worried jim
    I don't watch them, ever. On the rare occasions I'm watching live commercial tv as soon as they start I flick to BBC24 for four minutes but normally I don't watch live tv so I can just fast forward with 4 clicks of the minute jump button.

However the adverts on Classic FM P me right off!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 7th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned those awful Sixt car rental adverts. They all need a smack on the head
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Agreed
    It's "our vision of a hirer is a selfish a**e"

and any over 50's rip off life cover. everybody knows now
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Defintiely, Harvey Keitel must have been desperate to agree to do that.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    The over 50s funeral plans. Especially the one showing two middle aged couples happily spending a LOT of money in a garden centre while complaining that they would never able to afford their own funeral expenses.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 07-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The ads on my Yahoo email page that stop me doing anything until they have fully loaded
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2701.5
    This week 69.7
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    ceredigion

However the adverts on Classic FM P me right off!
    Originally posted by worried jim

I'll second that, I know it is due to advertising agencies buying a cross market spread, but some sort of tailoring to the demo graph of the expected audience must be possible.

just a thought, commercial companies want you to remember their product, the very fact there is a thread called "Most Annoying Adverts" suggests the money was well spent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin