Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frazoz
    • By frazoz 5th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 8Thanks
    frazoz
    Holiday Insurance - Husband diagnosed with cancer losing £1k
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    Holiday Insurance - Husband diagnosed with cancer losing £1k 5th Oct 17 at 6:06 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me, my Husband whos 36 was diagnosed with Stage 4 incurable bowel Cancer on 16th August.

We had a holiday booked with our daughter, our first holiday abroad with her in September with Kuoni and due to him being told he couldn't travel as he'd be having treatment soon I moved the dates on the holiday.

I contacted the travel insurance company and explained the situation and they are saying that my Husbands condition is now a pre-existing condition so they won't insure him. He's subsequently been accepted onto a clinical which will last two years so we need to cancel the holiday.

Kuoni has said we would lose £1000 of the £4000 we paid and I've gone back to the credit card company to see if we can get the £1000 back from them but they've confirmed they can't help as we don't have a dispute with Kuoni.

It just feels unfair that we booked travel insurance as soon as we booked the holiday and we've had a massive shock to our family and now they won't pay out and even though me and my daughter are covered we won't be able to cancel for the same reasons.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks x
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 33,611 Posts
    • 17,511 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    Is your insurance policy an annual one or a single trip?
    • frazoz
    • By frazoz 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    frazoz
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    Single trip
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 33,611 Posts
    • 17,511 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    Your single trip policy should have allowed you to claim for cancellation of the original holiday. Assuming you bought it prior to the cancer giving any symptoms.

But you will find it hard to get any insurance pay out for the second trip as the condition was present when you booked it
    • frazoz
    • By frazoz 5th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    frazoz
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    We did purchase prior to any cancer symptoms but because we moved it from September 2017 to April 2018 they are saying my Husband is no longer insured as his cancer is now a pre-existing condition so if we cancel (my daughter and I) we can't claim as we are cancelling due to my Husband not being able to go in April.

I'm at a loss as to how we can be out of pocket when we got travel insurance as soon as we booked the holiday prior to any diagnosis or him going to the Doctor.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 33,611 Posts
    • 17,511 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    As posted you chose to change your holidays rather than cancel them.

Had you cancelled the original holiday then you would have been able to claim. Your policy was bought to cover the original holiday,
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 7,438 Posts
    • 10,399 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    When you took out your travel insurance (for the September holiday) you didn't know your husband was ill so had you cancelled that would have been covered.

You knew that your husband wasn't well at the time you changed the date of your holiday, so at that point there was a known and increased risk of not being able to travel. Unfortunately insurance wouldn't cover you at that point.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 05-10-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    your first policy only covered for the the first holiday dates.

When you changed the dates of the holiday a new policy would be started. that Policy ran from the date you notified them of the change the dates of the cover but that meant a new policy was started. At that time all pre existing conditions should have been declared including any that arisen since you took out the previous policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,876Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter