Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Iluvcruz
    • By Iluvcruz 5th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Iluvcruz
    New Kitchen Advice
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    New Kitchen Advice 5th Oct 17 at 5:44 PM
    We are having a new kitchen fitted but I want something better than Howdens (builders choice) or the usual high street players. I have come across a local company, Burnhill Kitchens, in Tonbridge, Kent Any one heard of them? I cant find any reviews. They supply a range of kitchens including Second Nature which I am attracted to.

Advice please.
Page 1
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 5th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    Last time I looked Howdens were very expensive, and no better quality than B&Q/Wickes. I would suggest you investigate what features make for a good kitchen cabinet, and see how Howdens, B&Q and Second Nature compare. I had a look at the Second Nature website and couldn't find ANY information about the quality of the product. It was all airy-fairy bumpf about "Storage Options" and other such nonsense, and a expectation that the price of a new kitchen would be about £8000!

Homes under the Hammer a few weeks ago showed a landlord who bought enough kitchen cabinets for two kitchens for £500! I'd want to be very sure that the cabinets sold by anyone else were significantly better than from B&Q/Wickes before I paid more than £500 for the cabinets.
    • stueyhants
    • By stueyhants 5th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    stueyhants
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    Another popular choice seems to be DIY kitchens. Not used them myself yet but planning to later in the year. Most people report back they are happy and being made in the UK is always good.
    • Iluvcruz
    • By Iluvcruz 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iluvcruz
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    Diy kitchens
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    Yes I've looked at them and their doors are apparently made by Second Nature but you have to order all components yourself so if something is missing come fitting Day it's all down to you. I'm still considering them though.
    • Iluvcruz
    • By Iluvcruz 5th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iluvcruz
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    Quality of units
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    Howdens, Wickes etc all use very similar carcasses. The ones in Burnhill (Second Nature) are all glued and dowelled and look very strong and also attractive.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    Can't help with Burnhills, but we have Second Nature (supplied and fitted by a local kitchen company)

Our kitchen (oak shaker) is now over 12 years old and still looks great.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 6th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    betsie
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    Check out how long the company have been there. I did hear that there was a bit of a scam in that area where a kitchen shop would open all really nicely decked out, take lots of orders and large deposits then close down and fold before any kitchens were fitted. I think it has happened a few times in Tonbridge Wells.
    • adamg
    • By adamg 10th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    adamg
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    Howdens, Wickes etc all use very similar carcasses. The ones in Burnhill (Second Nature) are all glued and dowelled and look very strong and also attractive.
    Originally posted by Iluvcruz
    Second Nature do not make carcasses
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin