Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 17Thanks
    No info on Credit Only ESA??
    • #1
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    No info on Credit Only ESA?? 5th Oct 17 at 5:41 PM
    Hi all, I'm due to move in with my partner in a couple of weeks and will no longer be entitled to ESA as my partner works full time.

    I spoke to the Jobcentre in preparation (for poverty) who said as I'm in Support Group, I'd be put on a 'credit only' type of ESA - Does anyone know what this is exactly? I have googled it, but can't find anything called 'credit only esa'.... also, would I still be entitled to help with NHS health costs? (I have a lot of prescribed meds).

Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 5th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 4,059 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    'Credits only' means that you will be credited with your National Insurance contributions which count towards your State Pension. I don't think this will enable you to continue to get free prescriptions etc, but I'm sure somebody will be along to either confirm or correct that.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 5th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 12,205 Posts
    • 18,118 Thanks
    • #3
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • #3
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    i presume that you are on income related ESA as if you are on contributions based your partners income would be irrelevant.

    NI contributions will be made towards your state pension.

    all other benefits would be based on total household income.

    you say 'poverty' so possibly tax credits, housing benefit. council tax support my be an options as well as free dental prescriptions due to low income?

    complete form HC1 for help with NHS costs
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    • #4
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • #4
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    Your partner is a teacher and you're buying a house to together. I doubt you'll qualify for help with health costs, or that you'll be in poverty.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 5th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 1,785 Thanks
    • #5
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • #5
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    On NI Credits only, your payment of ESA will stop, your claim will remain open, you will not be entitled to free NHS Help with Health costs. You could do an HC1, but I doubt you would qualify as you are part of a working household.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

7,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ????

  • Follow Martin