Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • binky21
    • By binky21 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 7Thanks
    binky21
    Leasehold Coach House - Right to Manage
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    Leasehold Coach House - Right to Manage 5th Oct 17 at 5:27 PM
    Hi there,

I own a leasehold Coach House (a flat with its own entrance, stairs, off-road parking, etc.) that bridges a terraced house and a block of flats. The flat owners drive underneath my house to access their car park.

I've been thinking about applying for "Right to Manage" as frankly, I don't trust the Management Company that has been assigned by the builder. After reading the information on Money Saving Expert, it claims that I need 50% of owners in the building to agree.

My question is, if I am not in a block of flats, I am simply attached to them, would I need approval of 50% of the flat owners to apply? Could I potentially apply for "Right to Manage" my own property?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • DavidT67
    • By DavidT67 5th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    DavidT67
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    How many households pay a service charge to the management company for upkeep of shared areas?
    Those of the people who you'll need to get onboard with you.

Is there a distinct managing agent working on behalf of the mgmt company? Who are the current director and officers of the mgmt company?

As residents you should have the option to change the managing agent to one of your choice or self manage the mgmt company by appointing directors and officers from your ranks.

You'll need to obtain the memorandum and articles of association of the mgmt company to now precisely what your options are.

If you know the names of the mgmt company / managing agent a quick check on the companies house website will give you plenty of information.
    Last edited by DavidT67; 05-10-2017 at 7:58 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin