Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • al thor
    • By al thor 5th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    al thor
    Traveling from newport to gloucester
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    Traveling from newport to gloucester 5th Oct 17 at 4:27 PM
    Hi guys,
    i am going to be commuting from newport to gloucester and back every day for few months on a teaching course. Having looked at google maps there seems to be two routes that i can see. One with the toll bridge (m4/m5) and one wiithout. (A40) can you recommend which is the better route. My plan is to start and leave home by 6.30 am.

I am already resigned to the high travel costs that awaits me
Page 1
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    Hi guys,
    i am going to be commuting from newport to gloucester and back every day for few months on a teaching course. Having looked at google maps there seems to be two routes that i can see. One with the toll bridge (m4/m5) and one wiithout. (A40) can you recommend which is the better route. My plan is to start and leave home by 6.30 am.

I am already resigned to the high travel costs that awaits me
    Originally posted by al thor

Apple Maps tells me 1hr 9 mins M4/M5 and 1 hr 10 mins A449/A40/M50/M5/A40...

Do the M4/M5 to Gloucester, do the A40/M50 route on return to save on toll, though with the hills on the A40, you may use a little more fuel.
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 05-10-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 5th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    I agree. It aways feels faster over the bridge, More so than the timings suggest, but I hate paying the toll.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 5th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 5,479 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    My preference is A40 as I have never known it very busy.

However it also depends where you are going in Gloucester. M5 is good for the east, A40 may be more convenient for the centre.
    • al thor
    • By al thor 5th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    al thor
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Well i am going to commute to gloucester academy. so looks like the m5 is the quickest way?? But that is through the bridge. which i hate paying tolls. would the a40 which is the longer route be quite busy in the mornings?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 5th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    Why not come across the bridge in the morning and use the other route in the evening saving £6+ per day?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Oct 17, 5:56 AM
    • 10,318 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:56 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:56 AM
    There's also the option of the A48 up the Severn, google maps suggests similar time to A449 but a few miles less so reduces the mileage slightly.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 7th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 4,603 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    The toll is set to reduce and then be abolished, starting next year.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 7th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    The Chepstow - Lydney - Gloucester way is the more direct less mileage, though slower. Or should it be Gloucester - Lydney - Chepstow - Newport for the way back. Using the M4/M5 route for the morning route.
    I well remember going that way to Birdlip, doing 100 to 115 mph to make-up time - but then again that was back in 1990, I wouldn't recommend trying it now!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 10,318 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    bigadaj
    The Chepstow - Lydney - Gloucester way is the more direct less mileage, though slower. Or should it be Gloucester - Lydney - Chepstow - Newport for the way back. Using the M4/M5 route for the morning route.
    I well remember going that way to Birdlip, doing 100 to 115 mph to make-up time - but then again that was back in 1990, I wouldn't recommend trying it now!
    Originally posted by no1catman
    Where the hell do you do anywhere near 100 on that whole route?

GCC were trying to get the highways agency interested in the crickley hill duelling again when I worked in the area a few years ago, having worked on the whole M4M5 link in the nineties.

The problem is the treasury has got wise to a large part of ballooning budgets (on projects involving the air balloon or not) with large inflation and fudge factors, so they currently estimate around a billion for that one, it's a little way down the list though would solve a few problems at rush hour.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 5,479 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Decades ago I used to use the A48 for variety. A great route and not much longer than M50.

Then the road sign manufacturers must have had a sale and it became 50mph with cameras everywhere. Not used it since.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 10th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    no1catman
    Where the hell do you do anywhere near 100 on that whole route?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    It was before the new Severn Bridge, so once you cross over it doesn't take long to get on the M5. Back then the road even at that time wasn't that busy, initially I wasn't aware of the mph I was doing - just concentrating on the driving, and the road ahead.
    Probably only aware of that when coming to a slip-road in the distance started to ease up - with little effect - then glanced at the speedo and what I'm still doing !!!
    However, outside lane clear, often lane two, I carried on - glanced down a few times - yes over 'C' - it was an easy road (then) to power ahead with only the slip roads to be wary of.

Nowadays, going fast is doing 78 mph. Different times, needs, and cars. Even if I won the Lottery would I buy a 'fast' car - no
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,993Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin