Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 5th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 588Posts
    • 283Thanks
    dunroving
    Recommended tablet for reading Times subscription?
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    Recommended tablet for reading Times subscription? 5th Oct 17 at 4:24 PM
    I recently retired and plan to read the newspaper daily. I'd like to get an electronic subscription, for various reasons.

Any recommendations for a basic tablet, that is sturdy? (I will likely end up reading in the bed, so think the tablet might occasionally slide off the bed ...)

Prefer something with inbuilt blue light filter, if possible.
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    • 7,038 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    iPad mini 8" screen, except that they're wildly overpriced. Just to say, a 10" tablet will likely be too heavy to hold for a long reading time. But it also depends on your eyesight to decide what distance you like to read at.

The Times/Sunday times app is probably the slickest newspaper app. I used to have a sub on the iPad, once you've downloaded an issue the pages flip across very fluidly.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 6th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    I read it on my phone, it's fine. As above, The Times is by far the best app. Aren't they doing 3 months @ £1 a week at the moment?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    Thanks, All.

I currently have a phone (Samsung Note 3), which is OK for occasional reading of news sites but not a decent long-term option for regular news reading. My Dell laptop also isn't an option for reading in bed (if I dropped it I'd never forgive myself).

About 5 years ago I bought an Asus Transformer, which for many reasons turned out to be a dud for what I needed. However, the screen was 10.1 inches, which makes me realise that I would prefer something like 7 or 8 inches. The Asus was too heavy and cumbersome to hold, especially one-handed. It was also quite "slippery", not giving confidence when handling it.

Does anyone know the merits of the Amazon Fire vs. a regular Android tablet? Does the Times look OK on an Amazon Fire? I plan to subscribe to Amazon Prime (also as part of being retired), which is a reason to lean towards the Fire, but from what I have read, it doesn't take well to Google Android apps (of which I use several for physical activity tracking, nutrition, news, tracking my Barclays account, etc.)
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    For several years I’ve had a newspaper subscription on my Kindle. Price is £9.99/month for either The Telegraph or Guardian. Not sure about The Times.

The Kindle versions don’t include adverts or crosswords (I assume that applies to The Times version too), but it is very easy to read papers on a Kindle, mine is the older “non backlight” 3G model which also auto downloads in many countries for no extra charge. We visit Spain a lot and it works well there, a paper download takes just a few seconds.

A Kindle has a sunlight readable screen, and in the case of older, non backlight, models like mine, the battery lasts around 3 weeks on a charge.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 6th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    I have the Times app on my Moto G4 and it's very good.

It has a puzzles page to include daily crosswords and Sudoku. The Killer Sudoku even has a cheat sheet but I never use it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin