Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bovrl21
    • By Bovrl21 5th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bovrl21
    Disappointment
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    Disappointment 5th Oct 17 at 3:33 PM
    I've just tried - well under 2 minutes from the start in to applying for Xmas Ideal Home tickets on a particular day after being told there are 2000 available on the day I wanted but there were no tickets. I cannot believe that 2000 tickets 'disappeared' in under 2 minutes or else the day I wanted was unavailable to begin with V. DISAPPOINTED
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 26,225 Posts
    • 33,284 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    Don't worry, I'm sure you will be able to buy them elsewhere at grossly inflated prices.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 5th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 4,872 Posts
    • 6,213 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    This happens every year for Glastonbury. My Nephew has tried and my Neice and everytime after ahout 5 minutes of a non-functioning website it says "sold out".

Clearly someone is buying the tickets due tothe crowds there.

I think for some of these very popular events it should be a some kind of prize draw you enter so if your name comes up you get a ticket. I know this is how the New Years Day Concert in Vienna works or worked.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 5th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    I'm guessing it was a freebie ticket thingy and it's been widely advertised all over the place limited number of tickets and therefore bound to 'sell out' in seconds.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 06-10-2017 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 60,972 Posts
    • 356,135 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    You can do it for free from home. Just get a list of the exhibitors and start following their assorted social media channels - then you can buy the things you fancy with the money you saved!

Very MSE
    • Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 6th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    I've just tried - well under 2 minutes from the start in to applying for Xmas Ideal Home tickets on a particular day after being told there are 2000 available on the day I wanted but there were no tickets. I cannot believe that 2000 tickets 'disappeared' in under 2 minutes or else the day I wanted was unavailable to begin with V. DISAPPOINTED
    Originally posted by Janice Webber
    Well there might have been 2000 tickets advertised, but if I recall the advertising stated people could apply for a pair of tickets each. Assuming that the majority of people would do so, that's only (effectively) 1000 or so 'spots' to grab tickets.

With the email going out to several million people, plus broadcasts over social media and who knows where else, you have to expect tickets to disappear quick. 2 minutes is a miniature-lifetime though; earlier this year Lana Del Rey tickets were gone in approximately 6 seconds.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 6th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 15,022 Posts
    • 36,755 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    Notwithstanding whether the event is worth the effort, it does strike me that the means to buy a ticket for an event - be it an exhibition or a rock concert, seems to be now entirely digital.

Those who do not have access to internet (or fast internet) are effectively excluded from attending concerts unless they can access the internet and not only that, access it at a precise time and make their purchase within 10 seconds.

Not suggesting we go back to telephone call centres or post, but it does seem inequitable that "fans" cannot attend an event simply because they work, they don't have 4G, don't have reliable broadband where they live.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 6th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    When tickets for the theatre production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child are released you join a waiting area in the 30 minutes before the sale starts. Then, at the time of the sale starting, everyone is allocated a random position in the queue. You are told what number the queue is up to as it progresses.

This seems to be a much fairer way of dealing with a high demand.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 7,500 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    This happens every year for Glastonbury. My Nephew has tried and my Neice and everytime after ahout 5 minutes of a non-functioning website it says "sold out".

Clearly someone is buying the tickets due tothe crowds there.

I think for some of these very popular events it should be a some kind of prize draw you enter so if your name comes up you get a ticket. I know this is how the New Years Day Concert in Vienna works or worked.
    Originally posted by A Flock Of Sheep
    Due to the way tickets work for Glasto the purchaser has to attend so touting is basically impossible. It's just really popular and not much you can do about that.

Notwithstanding whether the event is worth the effort, it does strike me that the means to buy a ticket for an event - be it an exhibition or a rock concert, seems to be now entirely digital.

Those who do not have access to internet (or fast internet) are effectively excluded from attending concerts unless they can access the internet and not only that, access it at a precise time and make their purchase within 10 seconds.

Not suggesting we go back to telephone call centres or post, but it does seem inequitable that "fans" cannot attend an event simply because they work, they don't have 4G, don't have reliable broadband where they live.
    Originally posted by JasonLVC
    You can still call for tickets. Both ticketmaster and seetickets have a call centre, I'm sure others do too.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 6th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 168,676 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    I had a look at this offer and is it not in Birmingham?
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 7th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 8,735 Thanks
    unholyangel

Originally posted by JasonLVC
    Not sure if its still the same as its been quite a few years but they used to allocate a certain number of tickets to their website and then a certain number to their box offices.

Although I imagine that may have changed in recent years as people probably prefer clicking a button from the comfort of their own home/workplace repeatedly in the hopes of getting through rather than queuing overnight/days in advance in the hopes they haven't sold out by the time they get to the front of the queue.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 7th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Buy Ideal Home, it always has deals.. it just flick through one and get the code and website or phone number.
    • rockiedog
    • By rockiedog 8th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    rockiedog
    Christmas Ideal Home
    Ive managed to get 2 tickets for the 22nd November
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin