Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 59,589Posts
    • 42,286Thanks
    soolin
    Scam I assume
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    Scam I assume 5th Oct 17 at 3:26 PM
    I've just had an email which I am convinced is a phish but I can't see how it works.

The email just says:

Hello,

Is there any tracking # for my order? I haven't received it by now. I paid
    7 days ago. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone

the address is comes from is (redacted) @hilgrup.com but the subject matter just says ' reply to address' which is a gmail address.

Obviously as a business seller buyers do have access to my email address and it isn't unusual for buyers to send very brief emails asking questions without mentioning the item or anything. I was tempted to just respond and ask them for more details, but if it is a phish I obviously don't want to confirm my email address is 'live'.

Incidentally there is nothing to suggest this is ebay, it's just that I sell vastly more on ebay than I do anywhere else, and I have run a search on both email addresses in my ebay and nothing shows - but then I don't exactly trust any of the ebay search functions to be accurate.

EDIT: A google search appears to show that hilgrup.com is a Ukranian company and I don't sell to the Ukraine !
    Last edited by soolin; 05-10-2017 at 3:29 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 5th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    I would imagine that any response to them will quickly be followed by notification from "eBay" that a claim has been filed with a link to respond etc.

By not having links in the initial email it stops people like me reporting their fake web pages before they've managed to get some suckers.

This is all guesswork from me but I can see how it would work.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 5th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    To be honest with you I have just sent a very similar message to the seller of a jacket I bought a week ago who said they were posting on 28th.
    Did not think of mentioning item because surely they can see who bought what?
    So maybe not a scam
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 5th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    To be honest with you I have just sent a very similar message to the seller of a jacket I bought a week ago who said they were posting on 28th.
    So maybe not a scam
    Originally posted by helcat26
    But did you send it from one email account and then ask for replies to go to another account?

That screams scam to me - particularly with the reply email address in the subject line.

Surely most people would add a line to the actual email along the lines of "Could you please reply to a@b.com as I'm not supposed to use my work email address for personal business"?
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    Sounds very odd. Suggest you do nothing and wait to see if there is any follow up.
    • This Year
    • By This Year 5th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    This Year
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    As it's a Ukrainian company (and you don't sell to the Ukraine) I would suspect it to be a scam. Ignore/delete/block.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 59,589 Posts
    • 42,286 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    So maybe not a scam
    Originally posted by helcat26
    If you send a message like that to an email address how would any seller know what item you referred to? I probably sold nearly 80 things last week and without a user name or clue to item purchased how on earth would I have any idea what they were referring to?

It seems odd that they can used my email address to contact me rather than go through eBay when the question would have been attached to the item they bought. It seems a lot of effort to dig out my email address from my business details rather than just click 'contact seller'

I also find the different email addresses slightly strange as well. I'm going to ignore the message and assume it's a scam, and wait to see if I get any follow up. I assume the next step , if it is real, is for an INR claim, so if necessary I'll wait for that.
    Last edited by soolin; 05-10-2017 at 8:12 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    Get a free email address and replay back saying sorry your item has not arrived, not to worry its fully insured so please supply details for a full and immediate refund.
    PS don't worry if it turns up later, just keep it, the courier will have refunded in full and compansation.

Leave it open so they will think who is it from.

They will get the sweats with anticipation of some free money...
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    Agreed with above.

Send an email from something like https://www.mailinator.com/
    to both of the emails you got (from and reply-to) and leave it general - suspect you'll get a scammy link back that you can then report.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 59,589 Posts
    • 42,286 Thanks
    soolin
    I have ignored it and haven't heard another thing- I do tend to assume everything is a scam until proven otherwise and it looks like I was right.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter