Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 9,025Posts
    • 4,398Thanks
    missile
    Spam
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    Spam 5th Oct 17 at 2:15 PM
    How do spammers spoof my e mail address and how can I block their s...t from my Hotmail account
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    Get a Gmail address
    Hotmail is easily spoofed
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    Right click each spam email as they arrive, separately. From the list, click "Mark as Junk."

Go to Junk. Check the box at the right of the junked email.

At the top, select "Block" and click it. You receive a message: "Block all emails from (email address)?". Click "OK".

Keep doing this with all the Spam messages you get and they will gradually stop.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3,634 Posts
    • 7,999 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    How do spammers spoof my e mail address and how can I block their s...t from my Hotmail account
    Originally posted by missile
    Anyone can spoof any email address when sending, it's trivial to do with knowledge of the protocol, and indeed most MUAs will let you do it as well.

Email was never designed as a system that allowed the sender to be verified.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    missile
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    Right click each spam email as they arrive, separately. From the list, click "Mark as Junk."

Go to Junk. Check the box at the right of the junked email.

At the top, select "Block" and click it. You receive a message: "Block all emails from (email address)?". Click "OK".

Keep doing this with all the Spam messages you get and they will gradually stop.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Thx but I already do that.

I know they can spoof so it appears that the spam is from another address. What I don't understand is how they personalise a spoof to be from my own e mail address? I cannot block my own address.
    Last edited by missile; 05-10-2017 at 7:38 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:13 PM

I know they can spoof so it appears that the spam is from another address. What I don't understand is how they personalise a spoof to be from my own e mail address? I cannot block my own address.

Its easy.
    As you already know, they can spoof another email address, so with a simple bit of code then can enter their sender address = recipient address.

You could create a mail rule that sends anything where "sender contains<your name>" to the spam folder?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    missile
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    Thanks for your comments.

The spam already goes to junk. I have settings so only e mails from those on my address book go to inbox. I was hoping to find a way to block them.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:50 PM

You can block your own email address, not an issue unless you email yourself.

The issue with a lot of email progs is that they all want to be super friendly and know everything about you, so your email address is not important they want your real name. So emails appear from Real Name instead of abfhfghfedhd4545454@ajhsgdsggd777554.com.
    So the email you receive says a name or a company and you think its safe but when you check the real senders address its some spammy one.

I use thunderbird and it needs a plugin to show the real senders address, how stupid is that?

If it didnt have that plugin i would not use it. How can they think hiding a senders real email address is sensible?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    [QUOTE=forgotmyname;73229682]You can block your own email address, not an issue unless you email yourself. ..... [QUOTE] No that does not work
    Ride hard or stay home
    • dwtbath
    • By dwtbath 13th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dwtbath
    It is possible to verify sending to stop spoofing if you are working with systems such as Microsoft Exchamge server but not with personal emails such as gmail or Yahoo
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 13th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 5,077 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    John Gray
    "Change your email address" will work for a time, until the spammers get hold of the new one...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin