Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lauravenue
    • By lauravenue 5th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 2Thanks
    lauravenue
    New house - front door won't lock
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    New house - front door won't lock 5th Oct 17 at 2:10 PM
    Hi,

Quick question - we moved house last friday, old house front door was same as all other houses we've lived in, when you leave the house you pull the handle up and it's locked, use key to double lock. Our new front door doesn't do this - pulling handle up once you leave still leaves front door able to be opened, same from inside, meaning we are locking with key behind us as soon as we come home. Obviously this is dangerous from a fire perspective etc, but i'm not sure what to do to fix it.

Front door is very old anyway - should I just get a whole new door? And is it as simple as me buying one from a shop or should I get someone proper in to fit it? Or will getting a locksmith in help? Don't want to live with the door like this much longer as it is rather dangerous I think!

Thanks,
Page 2
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Leave your key in the lock, job done
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 28,380 Posts
    • 72,231 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Leave your key in the lock, job done
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    As long as the key can't be reached by someone putting their hand through the letterbox!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    glentoran99
    As long as the key can't be reached by someone putting their hand through the letterbox!
    Originally posted by Mojisola

If someone has arms that skinny and flexible and can reach round and check for a key in the lock then good luck to them
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 7th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Not quite the scenario you described - Whole families have been found dead inside their front door after a fire, all piled up on each other with the key on the floor underneath them.
    Except I didn't describe that scenario at all. Or any other scenario. Have a re read of the thread.
    • TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain
    • By TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain 8th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain
    Interesting... I wouldn’t ever entertain a handle that with a simple smash of the window could be opened.

Each to their own eh!
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 8th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    If you have laminated glass then smashing the glass is not as easy as it sounds.

If a burglar is willing to smash glass to gain entry anyway then they could just as easily smash a window (also unlikely to be laminated).
    • deanos
    • By deanos 9th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 10,739 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    deanos
    Most newbuilds i have been into have these thumb locks now,im not sure if its new building regs , they also have a shield in front of them to prevent this
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin