Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrSalty
    • By MrSalty 5th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrSalty
    Solar Panels
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    Solar Panels 5th Oct 17 at 2:10 PM
    So ive just had my 1st salesman round about installing Panels on my House and was Quoted £10550 1 of things he kept saying was a "Voltage Optimiser" would save me close to £300 a year, i had never heard of these and when checking online this seems to be very far fetched , He quoted me for 6 panels , Volt Optimiser , and a water heater (so any extra power goes to heating water) and installation. Has the panels and equipment come on that much that these volt optimiser are that good . I live in North Essex and my roof is facing 100 degrees has no shading so gets the sun up too around 3 pm , Im not to worried about selling my extra energy back this is more about saving money by using the solar power lowering my bills as we are an all electric house , i cant help but think that this is a big outlay for not a big saving . HELP please
Page 1
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 5th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    So ive just had my 1st salesman round about installing Panels on my House and was Quoted £10550 1 of things he kept saying was a "Voltage Optimiser" would save me close to £300 a year, i had never heard of these and when checking online this seems to be very far fetched , He quoted me for 6 panels , Volt Optimiser , and a water heater (so any extra power goes to heating water) and installation. Has the panels and equipment come on that much that these volt optimiser are that good . I live in North Essex and my roof is facing 100 degrees has no shading so gets the sun up too around 3 pm , Im not to worried about selling my extra energy back this is more about saving money by using the solar power lowering my bills as we are an all electric house , i cant help but think that this is a big outlay for not a big saving . HELP please
    Originally posted by MrSalty
    It's a huge outlay for the system you describe ! Look at the FAQ topic for a better idea of current prices and expect several readers to give you their recent experience. Off the top of my head, I would expect a reasonable quote to be less than half of your first one.
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    Check my sig and would expect things to be probably cheaper now. water heater about £300 fitted.
    R.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh; Year 1 Actual = 4152kWh; Year 2 Actual =4169
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    This is a nonsense seller. £10k would get you a 10kw system, which is about 3 times the size necessary for a typical house.

You dont need a boiler to store water. The small amount you could save is just not worth the cost.

Voltage optimisation will not save you £300 per year, unless you are consuming thousands per month in electricity.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 10,021 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    Hiya Salty, that's a scary quote. Actually it's terrifying.

6 panels suggests to me it's a 1.5kWp system. You really want to aim for £6k or less for a 4kWp system.

This may sound silly, but I'm actually quite angry reading that, it's disgusting, so good on you for seeking advice. None of us sell PV, we are just PV'ers so are happy to help out anyone looking to dip their toes in too.

Have a read of the FAQ's as Eric suggested (see link in my signature).

Also you may be interested in this recent thread, just because it throws up some similar issues, and saves us repeating some of the info.

Advice on new solar installation

Then ask, ask, ask away.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 10,021 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    It's a huge outlay for the system you describe !
    Originally posted by EricMears
    Flippin eck, you can say that again. Is it me or are things getting worse? Were we just lucky 5yrs ago, or ignorant to these scammers?
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 5th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    pinnks
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    To put that price in perspective, it's a few hundred more than I paid in total for my two systems which give me 5.25kWp and the more expensive immerSUN diverter and which were installed in June 2013 and March 2014. And doing two separate installs comes at a premium (more scaffolding costs, travel, labour etc).

I would send this firm packing (don't even bother haggling on price) and get quotes from elsewhere.

You might also want to browse yougen.co.uk which I found helpful when I was setting out and before I found this forum, which gives people really sound advice. They do have comments on installers, though how up to date they are is not known.

As others say, ask, ask, ask...
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    Hi

Give them a bell and ask them to confirm the TIC (total installed capacity) of the 6 panels& what make of battery storage they've quoted for ...

That kind of price looks like a package deal for a 4kWp (12-16 panel) PV system plus a Tesla Powerwall2!

Anyway, as already mentioned elsewhere, if you're on domestic supply & metering then a VO system is pretty useless at saving you money, but pretty handy for the installer to making off with your savings!

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 05-10-2017 at 8:11 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 5th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    Were we just lucky 5yrs ago, or ignorant to these scammers?
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Not "lucky" - we probably went with installers recommended by trusted friends and compared several quotes before accepting one. I hope MrSalty intends to do just that.
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 5th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    Hi

Give them a bell and ask them to confirm the TIC (total installed capacity) of the 6 panels& what make of battery storage they've quoted for ...

That kind of price looks like a package deal for a 4kWp (12-16 panel) PV system plus a Tesla Powerwall2!

Anyway, as already mentioned elsewhere, if you're on domestic supply & metering then a VO system is pretty useless at saving you money, but pretty handy for the installer to making off with your savings!

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Don't even waste time contacting them. Just block 'em. Permanently !
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • tunnel
    • By tunnel 6th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    tunnel
    Here's my take on your quote
    So ive just had my 1st salesman round about installing Panels on my House and was Quoted £10550(robbing bar steward) 1 of things he kept saying was a "Voltage Optimiser" would save me close to £300 a year(waste of time), i had never heard of these and when checking online this seems to be very far fetched(you're not wrong there) , He quoted me for 6 panels(Is your roof that small?) , Volt Optimiser(forget it) , and a water heater (so any extra power goes to heating water) and installation. Has the panels and equipment come on that much that these volt optimiser are that good(NO) . I live in North Essex and my roof is facing 100 degrees has no shading so gets the sun up too around 3 pm , Im not to worried about selling my extra energy back this is more about saving money by using the solar power lowering my bills as we are an all electric house , i cant help but think that this is a big outlay for not a big saving . HELP please
    Originally posted by MrSalty

Now,
    Start again by getting several (normal) quotes
    Post the details on here...ie, system size, make of inverter and estimated generation and even roof size as then someone on here would be able to estimate how big a system you could get for your bucks.
    Don't post any company details so as not to get them picked up by search engines.
    There's plenty of good folk on here who'll stear you in the right direction
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 6th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    This is one of the better solar calculators I have used: -

https://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-pv-calculator

Just dont be enticed by the expensive extras such as VO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin