Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kram
    • By kram 5th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 59Thanks
    kram
    Now what
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    Now what 5th Oct 17 at 2:08 PM
    What unexepected bills have you had to pay since going onto a dmp.

Mine are, tyres, car as other was wrote off, dpf repairs & service, mot repairs, oil leak & a new washing machine.

We have 2 cars by the way.

What has life thrown at you lately.

K
Page 1
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    What unexepected bills have you had to pay since going onto a dmp.

Mine are, tyres, car as other was wrote off, dpf repairs & service, mot repairs, oil leak & a new washing machine.

We have 2 cars by the way.

What has life thrown at you lately.

K
    Originally posted by kram
    The items in bold should be within your budget as items to set money aside for each month - are you not doing this? You need to work out the total running & depreciation costs for your cars for the year, divide by 12, and set that amount aside monthly so you don't get hit by "unexpected" items. (As a guideline we save £165 per month for car costs - this includes everything aside from fuel though). The Washing machine (in red) were you able to meet the cost of this from your emergency fund? And if so have you remembered to save an amount monthly to top that fund up again?

It sounds from what you've said as though perhaps you've slipped out of the habit of budgeting everything monthly - in which case maybe you need a bit of an overhaul of the budget?

Another thing I'll say - if you have a diesel car with a DPF are you aware of th steps you need to take regularly to keep the filter in full working order? If not google "DPF regeneration" and your car's make and model. diesels with these filters aren't suited to a lot of drivers - and people don't realise this leading to pricey repair bills.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • kram
    • By kram 5th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kram
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    Thanks for your comments, I have been able to cover these things & hope things are settled down now.

I was just posing the question of what bills people have encountered since going onto a dmp.

K
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    ...but it's important to acknowledge that many of the things you mentioned aren't "unexpected" isn't it. I'm glad you were able to cover them - perhaps start putting aside money against car costs from now though - with 2 vehicles I know all too well that it's vital to budget for depreciative as well as routine spends on them.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    My oven blew up! Literally exploded which I didn't know was even possible. The boiler broke down. My husband was made redundant. Had to pay for a residence permit ( again didn't know about it till asked for one by work). Cat had to go to the vets.
    I've come to know that life throws stuff your way no matter if you are rich or poor, so the only way is to be prepared. Put a small sum away each month so the unexpected can't catch you out.
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 5th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 3,810 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    Not an offical dmp but still trying to bust it ...
    my oven broke and car needed replacing (need it for work)
    Managed to get both and still put a dint into the debt ��

All with help from the peeps here ..

Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    I'm getting worried about you lot with all your oven issues!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 5th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    MERFE
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    The oven issues reminds me of when my son was putting a bowl away and dropped it, it broke the handle of the oven door which smashed into the glass, irreplacable so had to get a whole new oven.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 5th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 51,033 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    I'm getting worried about you lot with all your oven issues!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I think some people need to make a bake up plan.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • kram
    • By kram 5th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kram
    ...but it's important to acknowledge that many of the things you mentioned aren't "unexpected" isn't it. I'm glad you were able to cover them - perhaps start putting aside money against car costs from now though - with 2 vehicles I know all too well that it's vital to budget for depreciative as well as routine spends on them.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I must admit I will be allowing more for the cars now & will adjust my budget at review time with sc.

K
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I must admit I will be allowing more for the cars now & will adjust my budget at review time with sc.

K
    Originally posted by kram
    Good plan. If I remember rightly when I worked out the budget figure for ours I added up everything from insurance & tax, through servicing and MoT costs, to things like tyres and even screenwash, for a year, then divided it down by 12 and added 10% to that figure for contingencies. Even then something like the major belt change mine needed last year, or MrEH's new clutch from a couple of years ago, needed to come from emergency fund.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • kram
    • By kram 9th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kram
    One other thing I forgot about was a leak in the kitchen from the upstairs shower.
    It must have been leaking for a while & just by chance I noticed water coming from the ceiling whilst the shower was running.
    At first I thought it was a blocked waste pipe, no that was clear, the silicone had failed & had caused a fair bit of damage.
    I checked my insurance to see if I was covered & found that I was only covered if there were any burst pipes or accidental damage but not for anything where the silicone or grout had failed.
    So I repaired everything myself, it would have been a lot worse if the ceiling had come down, I caught it just in time.
    Don't always assume that it is covered by your insurance, as always the devils in the detail.

K
    Last edited by kram; 09-10-2017 at 1:40 PM.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 9th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    StopIt
    I admire your honesty Kram.

It's why the SOA used by posters here it actually critical to be filled in full when entering a DMP.

Not only are the costs you mentioned almost fully budgetable, and encouraged by Stepchange, but also the change from reliance on credit to a DMP needs a totally different approach to money.

While you cannot build up an emergency fund to cover everything, it is always prudent to have access to cash to replace a faulty cooker/washing machine/cat etc.

It's also why I'd always advise building an emergency fund before starting a DMP, as well as a full and honest SOA where people can advise on ways to budget for the "expected unexpected".
    • kram
    • By kram 9th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kram
    It was having an emergency fund & some extra hours here & there that has got me through all this.
    The best thing of all was knowing that I could come on here & read through the forums & ask questions if I was unsure of something & get answers from others who are going through the same as me.

K
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

323Posts Today

3,029Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin