Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant28hony
    • By Ant28hony 5th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ant28hony
    Housing benefit living with son ?
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Housing benefit living with son ? 5th Oct 17 at 2:07 PM
    Hi everyone,

I currently work full time as does my partner and we rent our own place privately.

My mum is disabled so get benefits and currently gets housing benefit for a studio flat in a sheltered accomadation unit,

My mother is not really coping that well on her own and it's very depressive to think of her there all the time not coping,

I'm trying to find out if she is still able to claim housing benefit if she came to live with us. The place we have now is not big enough and we would have to look for a bigger more suitable property but I need to know if the housing would pay her contribution towards rent if we find somewhere. I imagine it would work out no more than what they are already paying for her to live where she is.

hope someone has some info.

Thanks
Page 2
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    But if she was on the tenancy agreement the whole household would be relevant, not just hers.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Relevant for what? If she's named on the tenancy agreement, along with the OP and the partner. The mother pays her share of the rent and claims housing benefit. Sounds pretty simple to me.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 37,732 Posts
    • 34,063 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Relevant for what? If she's named on the tenancy agreement, along with the OP and the partner. The mother pays her share of the rent and claims housing benefit. Sounds pretty simple to me.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    This is precisely what I'm not sure about so I've been doing a bit of research.

Shelter website may be worth a look. This clearly says
    Housing benefit is a means-tested benefit. This means that the council will look at your household income when deciding if you're entitled to help.
    This sets out how household income is calculated.

This is about non-dependent deductions - if Mum is getting Pension Credit then a deduction won't be made.

My conclusion is that it's not at all clear whether Mum can claim HB without the rest of the household income being declared, and without knowing what the total household income is then no-one can know whether that claim would succeed.

Also, noting that it's likely to be a private tenancy, worth pointing out that HB will be based on the local housing allowance, ie may be capped.

I'm also left wondering to what extent Mum will be better off living with son and his partner, if they're both still out at work all day, and wondering if steps could be taken now to help her cope better where she is, getting out and about more, getting care in to help with things, lunch clubs etc?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 8th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    tomtom256

This is about non-dependent deductions - if Mum is getting Pension Credit then a deduction won't be made.

My conclusion is that it's not at all clear whether Mum can claim HB without the rest of the household income being declared, and without knowing what the total household income is then no-one can know whether that claim would succeed.

Also, noting that it's likely to be a private tenancy, worth pointing out that HB will be based on the local housing allowance, ie may be capped.

I'm also left wondering to what extent Mum will be better off living with son and his partner, if they're both still out at work all day, and wondering if steps could be taken now to help her cope better where she is, getting out and about more, getting care in to help with things, lunch clubs etc?
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    If mum is a tenant in her own right she is not a non-dep and can claim HB for her share of the rent at the one room rate.

All people listed on the tenancy will be able to claim HB, albeit son and wife will have to claim as a couple as they are part of the same household for benefit purposes.

Mum is not part of her sons household for benefit purposes if on a joint tenancy and vice versa. They would just share the property between them and all pay their own share of the rent. Unless things have changed.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 8th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    Yes, but wouldn't the household income be taken into account in her claim? ie not just her own? If I'm right, the OP needs to plug total household income into something like entitledto and see what comes out.

It is possible that total income from OP, partner and Mum will mean no claim is possible.

Also worth contacting the local authority to confirm my suspicion?
    No. The other people in the household income wouldn't be taken into account if the Mother is named on the tenancy agreement and made a claim for her third of the rent.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 8th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer

Other household members income doesn't need to be declared.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 37,732 Posts
    • 34,063 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    No. The other people in the household income wouldn't be taken into account if the Mother is named on the tenancy agreement and made a claim for her third of the rent.
    Originally posted by Housing Benefit Officer
    Other household members income doesn't need to be declared.
    Originally posted by Housing Benefit Officer
    Brilliant, thanks! I will go back and edit my posts ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,780Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin