Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant28hony
    • By Ant28hony 5th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ant28hony
    Housing benefit living with son ?
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Housing benefit living with son ? 5th Oct 17 at 2:07 PM
    Hi everyone,

I currently work full time as does my partner and we rent our own place privately.

My mum is disabled so get benefits and currently gets housing benefit for a studio flat in a sheltered accomadation unit,

My mother is not really coping that well on her own and it's very depressive to think of her there all the time not coping,

I'm trying to find out if she is still able to claim housing benefit if she came to live with us. The place we have now is not big enough and we would have to look for a bigger more suitable property but I need to know if the housing would pay her contribution towards rent if we find somewhere. I imagine it would work out no more than what they are already paying for her to live where she is.

hope someone has some info.

Thanks
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 5th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_renting_from_family
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    This would probably be seen as a contrived tenancy, in which case the answer is no.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 5th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 16,326 Posts
    • 28,592 Thanks
    Ames
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    This would probably be seen as a contrived tenancy, in which case the answer is no.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I don't think the OP is talking about charging her mum rent for a room in her house. It sounds like they want to move to a bigger house and wants to know if having her mum as part of the household would increase the number of rooms they need, and therefore increase the applicable LHA.

I don't know the answer though, I think it would depend on a lot of factors including income and what, if any, benefits are being claimed.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 35,559 Posts
    • 45,778 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    The op is asking if housing benrfit would still be paid if mother came to stay. Hb is for rental of oroperty . Mother woud be a lodger in your property so no. It would not be paid.
    Surely mother could afford board and lodging out of the benefits she receives
    No offence is intended
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    The op is asking if housing benrfit would still be paid if mother came to stay. Hb is for rental of oroperty . Mother woud be a lodger in your property so no. It would not be paid.
    Surely mother could afford board and lodging out of the benefits she receives
    No offence is intended
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Actually lodgers can still claim HB.

The problem is that she would not be a lodger in the OP's house but a non dependent.

If the OP is receiving HB then his HB would increase as there would be another adult requiring a bedroom living in the house. I suspect the OP doesn't claim HB.

Another problem is that the OP's mother may be receiving the severe disability premium with her benefits (if she receives AA) and she would lose this if she moved in with her son.

OP hasn't told us the logistics of the situation. Perhaps it is possible for the OP to move closer to her mother or vice versa.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 5th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    the answer is to have her as the co tenant, so that she has a liability to pay rent.

she needs to be named on the tenancy agreement
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    the answer is to have her as the co tenant, so that she has a liability to pay rent.

she needs to be named on the tenancy agreement
    Originally posted by nannytone
    Do you mean joint tenant?

This is a possibility but am not sure that any LL/LA would agree to this as it is doubtful that she would meet the criteria tests regarding income. As a joint tenant she would have joint and several responsibility for the whole rent.
    • Ant28hony
    • By Ant28hony 6th Oct 17, 1:04 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ant28hony
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:04 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:04 AM
    Hi guys thanks for your replys. I do not own my own home, me and my partner privately rent a house and both work full time.

This house would not be suitable for my mum as no bedrooms are on the ground floor,

I have looked at other properties that would be suitable and they work out roughly a third more expensive than what we have already.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I get a property that's suitable whether the hb would pay my mums third of the rent as I unfourtantley am not in a position to be able to go out and spend that extra money myself each month
    • Ant28hony
    • By Ant28hony 6th Oct 17, 1:11 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ant28hony
    I would need to move to a bigger property to be able to accomadate my mother and she would have to have ground floor rooms. I pay privately for my current house and can't afford to pay out a few hundred more each month to have my mum with us, this is why I'm wondering if she is a joint tennant if she would get her share as hb for the property so we can pay two thirds privately and 1 third hb for my mum
    • Ant28hony
    • By Ant28hony 6th Oct 17, 1:16 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ant28hony
    I already have a landlord and property in mind and he would be happy on this basis. The property has a bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor so my mum wouldn't need to try to use stairs. It's difficult to find properties like this in this area but her share would not be any more than the hb she already gets for a studio flat. I'm just not sure if hb would pay her share or expect me to because I'm her son, I would love to but unfortunately I'm already at my max I can really go to with my current rent
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    As has already been said she would need to be named on the tenancy agreement to be able to claim HB.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 37,731 Posts
    • 34,060 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    As has already been said she would need to be named on the tenancy agreement to be able to claim HB.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes, but wouldn't the household income be taken into account in her claim? ie not just her own? If I'm right, the OP needs to plug total household income into something like entitledto and see what comes out.

It is possible that total income from OP, partner and Mum will mean no claim is possible.

Also worth contacting the local authority to confirm my suspicion?
    I'm wrong, see later posts.
    Last edited by Savvy_Sue; 08-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 35,559 Posts
    • 45,778 Thanks
    McKneff
    Surely mum would be paying a contribution ie rent/board out of her normal income . This could be used to pay for the bigger house. You all need to sit and discuss the matter of finances
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 37,731 Posts
    • 34,060 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Surely mum would be paying a contribution ie rent/board out of her normal income . This could be used to pay for the bigger house. You all need to sit and discuss the matter of finances
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I'd agree, but if Mum has so far been able to claim HB, the OP may believe that Mum's income without that may not be enough of a contribution.

On the other hand, there will only be one set of utility bills (even if higher than OP's current bills if Mum is home all day) and some economies of scale may well be possible.

Definitely worth checking that Mum is claiming everything she is entitled to that only depends on her personal income. Unclear what disability benefits she is getting, or how old she is. May be worth getting advice from somewhere like AgeUK.

EDITED TO ADD: I was wrong about total household income, but I stand by this: it is worth checking that Mum is claiming everything she is entitled to, even if that reduces her HB claim because eg Pension Credit seems to create a heck of a lot less hassle than HB claims ...
    Last edited by Savvy_Sue; 08-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    If you have found a landlord who accepts mum as a joint tenant then she can claim housing benefit as she has a liability for the rent.

As she is a joint tenant then I believe that she would be entitled to the shared accommodation rate of local housing allowance. You can check the amount on your council's website.

PS I am assuming that you have no children. If you do then it may not be the shared accommodation rate.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 06-10-2017 at 1:43 PM.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 15,938 Posts
    • 39,728 Thanks
    FBaby
    Also don't know how frail she is, but you need to consider what would happen if she were to pass away in the middle of the tenancy. You would still have to pay the full amount at least until the end of the tenancy, so could you afford this if the worse were to come?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    sheramber
    If you have found a landlord who accepts mum as a joint tenant then she can claim housing benefit as she has a liability for the rent.

As she is a joint tenant then I believe that she would be entitled to the shared accommodation rate of local housing allowance. You can check the amount on your council's website.

PS I am assuming that you have no children. If you do then it may not be the shared accommodation rate.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:

your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
    you live in the home of a close relative
    you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
    you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
    you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
    you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:

your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
    you live in the home of a close relative
    you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
    you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
    you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
    you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds
    Originally posted by sheramber
    In this case it would be different if the relative is named on the tenacy agreement as stated above..
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    sheramber
    In this case it would be different if the relative is named on the tenacy agreement as stated above..
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    But if she was on the tenancy agreement the whole household would be relevant, not just hers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter