Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 5th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 3Thanks
    junebaby
    0 WOW
    Help with upcoming trip starting in Hong Kong
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Help with upcoming trip starting in Hong Kong 5th Oct 17 at 1:53 PM
    We are looking to book a trip for around 4 weeks, last week February then 3 weeks into March. We are flexible with dates and live near London.

We were thinking of Hong Kong, Cambodia, Bangkok then Phuket. What I need to know is whether this is the best order in which to do this trip and does it flow. It would be nice to end with a bit of beach time. Cathay Pacific seem to have the best prices on Sky scanner out to Hong Kong and back from Phuket. Then would we just book the other flights with local carriers?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 18,208 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    richardw
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    Google flights is better than skyscanner for mult-stop trips.

It depends how you want to fly home, HKT-XXX-LON can be done leaving in the evening and arriving at about 6am, or leaving in the morning and arriving about 7pm ish.

It's worth spending a bit of time researching which beach area you want to end the trip on, there's a lot of choice. There's quite a bit of advice on this in these forums, so it's worth a search. Consider beaches in Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand.

Are you nearest to Gatwick or Heathrow?
    Last edited by richardw; 05-10-2017 at 5:41 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 5th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    one question why start in HKG, if you turn your schedule round and depart Hong Kong you will save a chunk of change in APD.

I'll be keeping an eye on this post as next year we are doing Bangkok and maybe Chiang Mai/Siem Reap/Hoi An/Hong Kong then home again over a couple of weeks.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 5th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    junebaby
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    Hi Richardw

Thank you for your reply. We are probably closer to Gatwick.

My choice may look a bit random but we went to Vietnam for a month earlier this year and intended going into Cambodia but Vietnam easily filled our time. Thought we should add it this time.

Back in 2004 we had just paid the balance on a trip to Phuket when the Tsunami hit so we missed it by weeks. Terribly sad but we have never rebooked for some strange reason until now.

As for the flights Cathay Pacific fly direct to Hong Kong but fly back from Puket via Hong Kong so an 18ish hour trip all in all. Emirates flight time is good for us out from Gatwick back to Heathrow both via Dubai around 15 hours in all. Don't know anything about Cathay Pacific are they on a par with Emirates.

Never factored Malaysia in have not been there. Been reading the forums for a few weeks still learning. Just want to make sure I have it all straight before I push the button and book!!!

Is your suggestion that I should book the whole trip on one ticket? Would this be cost effective?
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 5th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    junebaby
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    Hi phatbear

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by 'depart Hong Kong and save a chunk of change in APD'. We are flexible but would like to end with beach time in Phuket for reasons stated previously.

Coincidentally part of our trip will be similar to yours in that we plan to go to Chiang Mai after Bangkok. But Siem Reap before.

Any suggestion you may have for the order of travel would be welcome.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 5th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    Have to admit as i typed it i thought i should have made it clearer.

Hong Kong had ultra low air passenger duty (APD) and no fuel levy etc etc. So if you book a ticket from London to Hong Kong the APD would be in the hundred however if you book from Hong Kong to London its about £35.

So if you can fly back from hong kong rather than arrive there you will save a chunk of money
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 18,208 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    richardw
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    I wouldn't do this with Cathay Pacific because flying home via HKG is the long way round.

Consider one of the Middle East airlines, BA, Malaysia, or Thai Airways.
    Pick new aircraft for the long sectors A350 and A380 are great, B787 are ok if you aren't wide shouldered.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11,594 Posts
    • 7,848 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    Firstly, Cathay Pacific is an excellent airline, rather better than Emirates.

Secondly, you might find it easier to get from Hong Kong to Bangkok (or Malaysia) and then go to Cambodia. A convenient way to arrive in Siem Reap is by air, and flights from Kuala Lumpur are generally a good deal cheaper than from Bangkok.

My subjective opinion: Malaysia is as interesting as Thailand, with even better food but far more expensive alcohol. Cambodia has really cheap alcohol (so if you miss drinking in Cambodia you can console yourselves with the opportunity of making up for lost time there).

Your proposed return journey, a flight from Phuket to Hong Kong to connect with a flight to London, would be very long. Why not break it up with an extra day in Hong Kong? That would also be a cost-effective solution.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 6th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    AlSto
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    Cathay Pacific currently has a sale on, so right now you'll be able to pick up London to Hong Kong return from £355 and open jaw London to Bangkok - Phuket to London(if you want your luggage checked all the way through) for under £420
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Oct 17, 1:35 AM
    • 10,339 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Hong Kong is a fair way away from much of south east Asia, so adding an extra few hours flying time.

Internally then Air Asia, or one of their competitors, would be a cheap way of circulating through the region, depending on order and time there's also the option of the sleeper train between Bangkok and chaing mai.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 7th Oct 17, 4:14 AM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    Penang or Phuket.
    Well for us its Penang every time.
    Lot of history, great food but average but acceptable beaches.
    But people would rather swim in hotels pools than on beaches these days.
    Also I reckon Malaysians are more friendly than Thais.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 11,594 Posts
    • 7,848 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Penang or Phuket.
    Well for us its Penang every time.
    Lot of history, great food but average but acceptable beaches.
    But people would rather swim in hotels pools than on beaches these days.
    Also I reckon Malaysians are more friendly than Thais.
    Originally posted by slinga
    I loved Penang, have yet to visit Phuket...

Note that on Penang most of the history and attractions are in the city of Georgetown, which does not have beaches. There is an area of "average" beaches and nightlife that is near to Georgetown (not visited). A bit further out you can find national parks and really beautiful beaches, but swimming is forbidden (for safety reasons) and you can't even buy a drink on or near to the beach.

So for a beach holiday I would recommend Phuket, or somewhere like Langkawi.
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 7th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    junebaby
    AlSto

Thank you for the tip about the Cathay Pacific sale. We managed to get flights return London Gatwick (our nearest airport) to Hong Kong for £814 for both of us. We are going for a month so it will be fun filling in the rest.

Thanks to others for lots of good advice I will have a look at Malaysia as this wasn't on my initial itinerary.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 18,208 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    richardw
    .... Cathay Pacific....We managed to get flights return London Gatwick....to Hong Kong....
    Originally posted by junebaby
    Btw they operate new A350 aircraft on the route and due to better air quality you should feel less tired compared to older aircraft.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 10th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    A few years ago I did a 2 week trip of HK -> Hanoi (side trip to Halong Bay) -> Hoi An -> HK then home. There are direct flights between Danang and HK.

Why HK? Because I had always wanted to go there and I had been to Bangkok loads of times. Yes, it added time and money to the trip but I had a great time there and would go back.

Given a month I might be tempted to do an open jaw flying out to HK then back from BKK (or even KUL) and spending the time working from one to the other while keeping the route and schedule fairly flexible. The luxury of a longer trip is that it allows you to change your mind and follow your nose enroute.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 11th Oct 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    Pick new aircraft for the long sectors A350 and A380 are great, B787 are ok if you aren't wide shouldered.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Selecting a route specifically for the type of equipment is unwise as with any operator, there is the possibility of an aircraft change.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 18,208 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    richardw
    ....there is the possibility of......
    Originally posted by dickydonkin
    Yes anything can happen.
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 13th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    A few years back we did HK then on to Thailand and flew back via HK. We had a good deal with Cathay Pacific, and yes it did add a few hours more on the way back which was a bit of a pain, but the airline is good and it didn't bother us too much considering the money we saved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin