Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mccon24
    • By Mccon24 5th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mccon24
    Provider changed without permission
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    Provider changed without permission 5th Oct 17 at 1:45 PM
    I recently received an email from the cheap energy club suggesting I could save money so I looked at my current tariff. I was shocked to discover that even though I was supposed to be on a dual fuel tariff (EDF - Blue price freeze 2018) my electricity supply had disappeared! I had a notification dated 9th October 2016 saying they were sorry I was leaving for another provider, something I hadn't done.
    Upon contacting EDF they told me that my supply had switched overnight on the 9th October to a company called Utilita(?) without warning. I hadn't authorised this and when I contacted Utlilta they had a different name for the person living at my address who had made the switch. I wasn't paying any money to this company either.

Has anyone had a similar experience as although they are investigating I'm worried I will be hit with a bill for a years supply of electricity?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    Normally, you are covered by the Charter on Erroneous Transfers of Supply. Call EDF and ask that they invoke the Charter. They may well argue that the Charter is now timed out given that over a year has now elapsed. If they agree that an erroneous transfer has taken place, the ‘bottomline’ is that you will be put back into the contractual position that you were in had the erroneous transfer not taken place. As far as payments are concerned, you would then owe EDF for the energy that has been consumed.

Given that EDF contacted you over a year ago, why has it taken you so long to take any action to resolve this matter? You cannot invoke the Back Billing Code unless you have taken positive action to obtain a bill from the supplier.
    Last edited by Hengus; 05-10-2017 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin