Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RedMonty
    • By RedMonty 5th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 11Thanks
    RedMonty
    14 days or is it actually 13 days to pay?? UKPP
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    14 days or is it actually 13 days to pay?? UKPP 5th Oct 17 at 1:26 PM
    I got a parking charge from UK Parking Patrol ( UKPP ) - members of both BPA and IPC.

Following the advice on this board, I sent them an appeal on their website (and kept a copy for myself.) They duly replied via email rejecting the appeal. By now I'm a bit fed up of the whole thing and I have other things on my plate to sort out, so I decided sod it and pay up.

Their response was on 21st October, 5pm so by my count, the 14 days to pay expires today Oct 5th at 5pm. It is 1pm so I went to their website to pay the £60, and was greeted by a notice saying the 2 weeks expired yesterday and I am 1 day overdue and should pay £100!

I want to ask you - is this right? I've already typed a quick email letter saying I'm happy to pay £60 but challenging their calculation of 14 days, but I want to check with you in case I've messed up my calendar reading.

Have taken a screenshot of the £100 demand on the website, seems it would be a good idea to send them letter + screenshot before 5pm today.

21st Sept -5pm Start of 14 days
    22nd Sept - 5pm End of day 1, and start of 2nd 24 hours.
    30th Sept - End of day 9, start of day 10
    1st Oct - End of day 10, start of day 11
    5th Oct - 5pm - end of day 14

If they are actually ending the 14 days 1 day early, in contravention of their own rules, this could affect a lot of other people.
    Last edited by RedMonty; 05-10-2017 at 1:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    Of it's UKPP then they are IPC

If 1st October at 5pm was end of day 11, then day ,14 was 3 days later.(14th)

Read up in the Newbies thread on ignoring everything now when dealing with an IPC company except s lbcca or court correspondence
    Last edited by Quentin; 05-10-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • RedMonty
    • By RedMonty 5th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    RedMonty
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    If 1st October at 5pm was end of day 11, then day ,14 was 3 days later.(14th)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Actually it was end of day 10 on 1st October at 5pm.

By your reasoning I'm still within the 14 day period.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 6,200 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    Are you planning to pay? You would be advised not too. This is almost certainly a scam.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • RedMonty
    • By RedMonty 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    RedMonty
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    Are you planning to pay? You would be advised not too. This is almost certainly a scam.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Yes, planning to pay. It was a large centrally located retail car park, and they sent me CCTV photos showing the car overstaying. I have complained to the shop (Currys) via email, and got nothing apart from a 'we have received your email thanks' from customer services.

Huge thanks to Quentin for his help also his exhaustive notes on challenging charge notices, however I have a lot on my plate (family, work etc) and I know I will not be very good at meeting the deadlines / paperwork involved. Also the regular bullying letters will stress my partner, who is the worrying type.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 5th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    waamo
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    I doubt they will budge. The whole industry is a scam and the "discount" period seems to vanish as soon as they think you will pay.

Personally I wouldn't pay especially as it has got a whole lot harder for them to take you court under the new regulations.

It's your £100 though so if you want to pay get need to accept it will be gone.
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    Actually it was end of day 10 on 1st October at 5pm.

By your reasoning I'm still within the 14 day period.
    Originally posted by RedMonty
    My reasoning was based on the information contained in your OP. (Which you have subsequently altered!!)

You have no deadlines to meet when dealing with an IPC company.

The Newbies faq tells you why! (Appeals are futile)

So ignore everything except a lbcca or court correspondence and then come back for advice on how to defend this should it turn up

They have 6 years to start legal action against you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 3,900 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    I want to ask you - is this right?
    Originally posted by RedMonty
    Their game... their rules.

If you want to dispute it, take them to court.

In which case your effort would be better expended fighting the original charge.

Oh... and we've all "got a lot on my plate (family, work etc)".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,550Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter