Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 5th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,974Posts
    • 11,852Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Unwanted phishing 'phone calls following insurance claim.
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    Unwanted phishing 'phone calls following insurance claim. 5th Oct 17 at 12:03 PM
    Had a theft from my car, satisfactorily sorted by insurers, CIS.

I then got loads of annoying 'phone calls from various people all wanting to help me with my "accident" (it's wasn't an accident) and quoting the correct date: (So someone has been telling/selling the info).

Eventually after well over 10 I emailed the insurers and got this interesting response...
    Incident date: dd.mm.2017
    Vehicle: AB123CDE
    Following to the conversation today. We have been having many customers receiving a lot of phishing and Accident Management calls. All Insurance companies are facing this difficulty too.
    We are looking further into this and have a team investigating this and looking into how these companies are gaining the information and have passed the contact number over to this team to look into this. I can also confirm that you may already know that coop insurance have not instructed these companies to provide you these calls. I can confirm that Coop Insurance have not provided your information under any circumstance.
    If you've got any questions, please get in touch. Our lines are open Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm.
    D*********** W***************
    Claims Advisor Motor Claims
    I suspect someone is making a fortune flogging this info (could be Police of course).

Anyone else getting this problem? (It's not me I'm bothered about, it's the little-old-lady - or gentleman - who might get ensnared.. )

Whenever I did speak to one of these charming people I politely enquired where they got my 'phone number from: They all got most upset/rude/hurt I'd asked..
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 05-10-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    Lots of reports like this both here and across the net

Get a call blocker system of some sort if you are bothered too much

Many are truly just fishing - though you are right, lots of people know about claims (police/insurance staff/bodyshops/ambulance/hospital etc), and the source could be anyone!
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 5th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    The price comparison websites sell this info.

Have you researched car insurance prices recently?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    These people are just parasites, but if you've got time to spare you can string them along a bit. I had a classic a few weeks ago :

Me : "Hello"
    Scammer : "We are calling about the accident you had"
    Me : "Oh yes, which one ?"
    Scammer : "The accident you had"
    Me : "Yes, which one ? I've had 2 recently"
    Scammer : "I'll transfer you to my supervisor"
    Supervisor : "We're calling about your accident"
    Me : "Yes, I know, I was just speaking to your colleague about it"
    Supervisor : "Were you injured ?
    Me : "In which accident ?"
    Supervisor : "The accident you had"
    Me : "Yes, I know. As I explained to your colleague, I've had 2 recently, which one are you referring to ?"
    Supervisor : "The one you were injured in"
    Me : "I was injured in both of them"
    Supervisor : "Oh - in that case, the one you were most seriously injured in"
    Me : "Ah, right, that would have been the one a couple of weeks ago"
    Supervisor : "Were you very seriously injured ?"
    Me : "Yes, I'll say. In fact I died. But luckily I'm a Buddhist so I got reincarnated"

... Scammer puts the phone down at this point
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    After I listed the Audi on Gumtree, an automatic web crawler must have picked up my phone number. Ever since, I have received phone calls (At one point, it was 4 or 5 a day) from companies telling me they can make me loads of money from an accident I never had.

I just block them now. No point in getting frustrated about it.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 5th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 8,974 Posts
    • 11,852 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    It's not me I'm bothered about, as said before it's the
    ....little-old-lady - or gentleman - who might get ensnared.. ...
    Another recommended response is
    "hello"?
    blah blah blah....
    "Oh, thanks for 'phoning, I've not spoken to anyone for 9 days and was about to kill myself, so wonderful to hear a kind friendly voice...."
    - you get the idea, see how long (& therefore how much of their time & £££) you can keep them going
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    These people are just parasites, but if you've got time to spare you can string them along a bit. I had a classic a few weeks ago :

Me : "Yes, I know. As I explained to your colleague, I've had 2 recently, which one are you referring to ?"
    Me : "Yes, I'll say. In fact I died. But luckily I'm a Buddhist so I got reincarnated"

Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Wonderful! Can I use that, or is it copyright?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 5th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,473 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    I wonder if the Co-op have many chickens in their "coop"?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 7,920 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:31 PM

LOL. I did the same. Phone went down when i said i had been decapitated

Seems to me if more people wasted their time like this they might have to pack it in.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Wonderful! Can I use that, or is it copyright?
    Originally posted by Robisere

Please feel free to use it ! Actually, I managed to keep the !!!!!!s on the phone for about 15 minutes or so - that's the condensed version.

I did ask them where they got my details from - apparently, from the "RTA database" LOL.

I asked them to provide me with the date of the accident they were referring to ( they couldn't, of course - I've never had an accident ). But that flustered them a bit : "hang on, you've called me - you must be able to see on your system the details of my accident", etc., etc.

The trick is to remain polite and sound as though you're interested in what they have to offer - right up until the last minute when you've had enough. Hey, let's have a little competition as to who can keep these muppets on the line the longest :-)

OK, I know it's childish - but hey, we all need some fun in our lives. I was actually at work when that happened, and my colleagues were in fits of laughter just hearing my end of the conversation. When my phone rang again the next day, from an unknown number, they were so disappointed when it turned out to be some sort of crappy recorded message rather than a real womble who I could wind up. I am registered with the TPS, but apparently it doesn't work for numbers originating from abroad ? But hey ho, you can choose to either ignore the call ( and block the number ) or have a bit of fun
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 05-10-2017 at 6:59 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 9,792 Posts
    • 7,294 Thanks
    GunJack
    Hey, let's have a little competition as to who can keep these muppets on the line the longest :-)
    Been doing this with the Windows/BT/TT/whoever techie muppets for several years...if you've got the time it's a giggle
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 6th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 23,887 Posts
    • 50,549 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Been doing this with the Windows/BT/TT/whoever techie muppets for several years...if you've got the time it's a giggle
    Originally posted by GunJack

My 83 year old mother can string these 'your computer is infected' muppets along for ages before revealing that she doesn't own a computer.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 6th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Senseicads
    i actually quite like calling them liars. they phone up saying that the insurance companies put a set of money aside for my discomfort! you can't claim for that but it don't stop them. I spent over a decade as a personal injury claims handler so I know exactly what I'm talking about and I manage to confuse them all greatly. I have had referrals to up to 4 supervisors before now. There is one company in Liverpool that keeps contacting me, at least once per week. I do have great fun with it.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 6th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    uknick
    Welcome to the club artfuldodger.

I "joined" a few years after an accident damaging my rear bumper. They'd ask if I've got any injury.

I'd say I've a bad back. They get very interested and ask if they can help.

I then explain the accident happened in a premium car brand dealer's car park and I'd love to be able to make a claim.

Again, they are very interested.

So I ask them, as they're the experts, what advice they can give me for suing the 3 foot tall bollard I reversed into.

Funny enough, the line goes dead after that.

PS: I've had the bad back for many years, it's not my fault they assumed it was from the accident.
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    facade
    Keeping a sub-minimum wage slave worker on the 'phone is not going to affect their employer much I'm afraid, although it stops that particular one phoning anyone else in the time.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Turn to Grey
    • By Turn to Grey 6th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Turn to Grey
    "Married Lancashire police officers sold road crash data." Now we know who sold it !

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-41531324
    Started my job at the bottom and liked it
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 12,892 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I get these blasted phone calls and I can't remember when I last had a motor accident claim. It was probably in the mid 90's. I got called a couple of days ago and despite telling the ärsehole on the phone that I was killed in the accident, she still carried on.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I used to get a lot of these, but then about 18 months ago I did actually have an actual accident. Haven't had a call since, until about 2 weeks ago!!

My Mum gets them regularly. One particularly disturbing one was where they called and said that a member of her family had been in an accident - we were actually en route to visit her that day, she was in a bit of a state by the time we got there. She knows it's a scam - but...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin