Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 5th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 245Posts
    • 128Thanks
    barnaclebill
    charged twice
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    charged twice 5th Oct 17 at 11:27 AM
    About two weeks ago my wife bought a jumper in M&S on her credit card, I turned up as she paid, the sales assistant was admiring her many rings and they had been talking about them during the transaction. The assistant looked at the till and remarked 'what happened' the sale was not showing so she asked my wife to insert her card again. I thought at the time my wife should have got a sale voided receipt but she did not.
    Just received her card statement and there are two identical charges on the same day at M&S, my wife is not good at using her card and uses it rarely, just like any advice how to proceed, go to M&S first for sure, I think her card provider would not be involved, she probably won't want to make a fuss about it.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    Just go to M&S with the receipt and card statement - they'll see the error straight away and will refund the 2nd charge. (I'd be surprised if M&S were awkward about this).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bris
    • By bris 5th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 7,103 Posts
    • 6,121 Thanks
    bris
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    Just go to M&S with the receipt and card statement - they'll see the error straight away and will refund the 2nd charge. (I'd be surprised if M&S were awkward about this).
    Originally posted by DoaM

So you can just go to M&S buy two identical items on separate purchases and then claim it was a error on their part later and they will just take your word for it? Two transaction going through at the same time can easily be someone buying for two separate people and keeping the receipts separate so they can have 1 each if anything goes wrong.

Just playing devils advocate here but you must see why they will want to investigate.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    Same happened to my mum recently, customer service told her to go back to store and they refunded her. She also received a voucher in the post as an apology.

Unless they have reason to be suspicious (repeat returns, history of shoplifting) M&S are not going to quibble over something like this.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    So you can just go to M&S buy two identical items on separate purchases and then claim it was a error on their part later and they will just take your word for it? Two transaction going through at the same time can easily be someone buying for two separate people and keeping the receipts separate so they can have 1 each if anything goes wrong.

Just playing devils advocate here but you must see why they will want to investigate.
    Originally posted by bris
    I'd expect them to check the transactions and see that they are timed very close together.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 5th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    I'd expect them to check the transactions and see that they are timed very close together.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Exactly.

The transactions would be immediately after each other, for an identical item and at the same till. I also think M and S will see sense here.
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    I also think M and S will refund without any hassle, would be good to get an update as and when
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 7th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    No problem, showed the receipt and the statement, manager checked on computer and only 3 minutes between transactions, apology and refund
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,262Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin