Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 5th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 196Thanks
    katiepants
    Labeling food in freezer?
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    Labeling food in freezer? 5th Oct 17 at 10:49 AM
    How do other people identify frozen meals in their freezers?

I love my slow cooker and like to freeze surplus portions ready for a quick and easy tea. However I've found once frozen, they look identical. Is it chilli? Bolognese? Casserole? BBQ chicken? I can never tell!

I don't think marker pen will work on the plastic, and even if it did, I might not re-use that tub for the same meal.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Page 2
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 5th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    katiepants
    I put a strip of selotape on and write on that with a marker pen..no scrubbing the selotape just peels off.
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Does the selotape stick ok when in the freezer?
    • C J
    • By C J 5th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 5,526 Thanks
    C J
    When you say sharpie do you mean like a whiteboard marker or is it a permanent marker?
    Originally posted by katiepants
    Permanent marker .... but it does scrub off in hot soapy water. Maybe not completely, but it fades enough that you can write over it (and it's legible) when you re-use the tub.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 5th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 22,725 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    I got a big pack of labels on a roll from the Yorkshire Trading Outlet, classed as Typists Labels, and they are brilliant for sticking (and staying put!) on freezer tubs.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 6th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Does the selotape stick ok when in the freezer?
    Originally posted by katiepants
    Yes no problem at all the easiest and cheapest way!!
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I find that I can't re-use the plastic tubs that many times anyway as they seem to get really brittle in the freezer.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I use Whitefurze ones, they've lasted for years. The lids come off easier if you run them under the hot tap first.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I cross things off as I use them, add in anything new that goes in and rewrite (and tidy the freezers) when it gets to look a mess.
    Originally posted by maman
    I used to keep a list on paper, but I got fed up of having to re-write it all when the paper got tatty. Nowadays I have an A4 sheet covered in plastic film, and write on it with a water-soluble OHP pen.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Mabr
    • By Mabr 6th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Mabr
    Same as others - I use a Sharpie and write on the plastic lids of the tubs. It stays on well in the freezer but washes off very easily with warm soapy water. Easy
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 102,645 Thanks
    maman
    I used to keep a list on paper, but I got fed up of having to re-write it all when the paper got tatty. Nowadays I have an A4 sheet covered in plastic film, and write on it with a water-soluble OHP pen.
    Originally posted by jack_pott

It's strange what amuses us! I actually enjoy rewriting mine. I use it as an opportunity to double check what's in the freezer and tidy it up and then I feel good knowing it's all shipshape. I need to get a life!
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 6th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    rach_k
    Sharpie works fine for me and scrubs off fine but sometimes I use a chalk pen (when somebody has pinched the Sharpie) and that works well enough too. Chalk pens wipe off easily with a finger but it stays on long enough for its purpose as long as you're not messing around with the boxes too much.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 6th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,377 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Sharpie. A swipe of surgical spirit or nail pol remover gets it off. I don't do it every time. Cross out the old, add new. When there isn't any more space to write they get cleaned.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 6th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    I write all meals on a post it then cut it up & put sellotape over it.
    Originally posted by macpep1
    Me too

Works a treat x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Saving for Jersey 2018 - it's a challenge...
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 7th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 19,724 Posts
    • 31,889 Thanks
    Spendless
    I use adhesive stickers. Very rarely do they come off.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 7th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,697 Thanks
    Ilona
    I use margarine tubs for freezing stews and soups. I don't label them because I don't care what's in it. It's food that I cooked, all I need to know.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,956Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter