Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 5th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 30Thanks
    katiepants
    Labeling food in freezer?
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    Labeling food in freezer? 5th Oct 17 at 10:49 AM
    How do other people identify frozen meals in their freezers?

I love my slow cooker and like to freeze surplus portions ready for a quick and easy tea. However I've found once frozen, they look identical. Is it chilli? Bolognese? Casserole? BBQ chicken? I can never tell!

I don't think marker pen will work on the plastic, and even if it did, I might not re-use that tub for the same meal.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Page 1
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the container. I keep a list of the freezer contents in a cupboard so that I don't have to rummage in the freezer unnecessarily.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • C J
    • By C J 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 896 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    C J
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes (we don't tend to have takeaways, so I've bought a stack of the 8-for-a-pound ones). Although the marker stays on very well in the freezer, I can still scrub it off okay in hot soapy water to re-use it next time.

I keep a written inventory of what's in the freezers and now always look at that first when deciding on the following week's menus and shopping lists. This has really worked for me - previously I ended up with a freezer stuffed full of stuff which I always meant to use but never did. Now the extra portions of things get used up within a couple of weeks and stock rotation is far better.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 5th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    purpleybat
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    i have the sticky labels I use for when I'm making preserves. they stay on in the freezer and wash off easily.
    I do admit tho I have plenty of ufos in the freezer, but I don't mind chilli shepherds pie and stuff like that.
    I do remember thinking a small pot of kulfi was a sauce tho, luckily I didn't pour it on the chicken I had planned to
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the container. I keep a list of the freezer contents in a cupboard so that I don't have to rummage in the freezer unnecessarily.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    I also use masking tape as it is easy to write on, but I do put a layer of sellotape over the top as that has better sticking power.
    I also have a list which is in excel but gets printed out and scribbled on till it is too much of a mess and then I update the electronic master and reprint.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 36,009 Posts
    • 464,118 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    freezer surprise!!!!!!!!

I once got a tub of frozen bananas thinking it was chicken fillets.. they are surprisingly similar through a plastic tub.. and I've had bacon casserole because it looked like pork lol...
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes
    Originally posted by C J
    I started using a marker pen, but I quit because it was leaving a permanent stain on the boxes.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,238 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    Sticky labels. And a spreadsheet detailing what is in which drawer, how much of it, and what size/type of box/bag it is in.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 17,994 Posts
    • 45,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    How do other people identify frozen meals in their freezers?

I love my slow cooker and like to freeze surplus portions ready for a quick and easy tea. However I've found once frozen, they look identical. Is it chilli? Bolognese? Casserole? BBQ chicken? I can never tell!

I don't think marker pen will work on the plastic, and even if it did, I might not re-use that tub for the same meal.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Originally posted by katiepants
    I use plastic boxes (from takeaways) for my batch meals but when they are frozen, I take them out and bag them and label the bag with date and item, using an indelible marker from Wilko.

Thee containers can then be washed ready to be used again.
    and it saves on space if your containers are not full to the brim.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    We use regular sticky labels, the sort that you put on envelopes. My husband took part in several postal delivery surveys for Royal Mail and we have dozens of partially used sheets of labels as a result. (He got paid in stamps.) I have never had an issue with the labels falling off in the freezer. Being frugal, I only use part of a label each time.

I write on the labels using either a regular BIC biro or a permanent marker - whichever comes to hand first - and I haven't found a difference in "survival rates". Both are legible for months. (NB: The permanent marker gets used for writing on freezer bags and they both live in the cupboard together.)

Edited to add: I always write the date on my labels. No further admin needed.
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 05-10-2017 at 1:30 PM. Reason: forgot something
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 5,911 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am really bad for putting half boxes of takeaway curry in the freezer and forgetting what is in what box.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 5th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 26,888 Thanks
    macpep1
    I write all meals on a post it then cut it up & put sellotape over it.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
    • snit_girl
    • By snit_girl 5th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    snit_girl
    Ball point pen on Ziploc bags. Never rubs off and Ziploc bags either stack into neat tiles or can be squeezed into any space.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 5th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I buy cheap takeaway type boxes with lids from amazon, 50 for £7.50 from memory. I use a sharpie to label them and then rubbing alcohol to get the sharpie off if it wont budge. I have been bad in the past and we do have some "surprise" dinners! I once defrosted 2 lots of stir fry only to find one was with rice and the other noodles, we mixed them together and they were fine if unorthodox
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 26,306 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I'm another one voting for sharpie. It stays on fine and washes off with a pan scrubber and hot soapy water (doesn't come off in the dishwasher though).
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 5th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    I put a strip of selotape on and write on that with a marker pen..no scrubbing the selotape just peels off.
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 16,851 Posts
    • 100,635 Thanks
    maman
    Originally posted by jack_pott

I'm with you jack. I use masking tape on the take away type boxes and peel it off when I take it out of the freezer. Any residue comes off easily in the dishwasher.

I have an inventory on the side f the microwave with a magnet. It's nothing fancy, just a handwritten list under headings: meat, fish, ready meals (mostly HM batch cooked), vegetables and miscellaneous (like bread, lemons, ginger etc). I cross things off as I use them, add in anything new that goes in and rewrite (and tidy the freezers) when it gets to look a mess.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 5th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    katkin
    Another masking tape fan here who also keeps an inventory in my wee household book. Cheap, cheerful and easy.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 5th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Callie22
    I use a sharpie or a 'write4all' pen, it comes off easily in soapy water. I find that I can't re-use the plastic tubs that many times anyway as they seem to get really brittle in the freezer. I'm on the lookout for a more re-usable solution but haven't found the perfect thing yet.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 5th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    katiepants
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes (we don't tend to have takeaways, so I've bought a stack of the 8-for-a-pound ones). Although the marker stays on very well in the freezer, I can still scrub it off okay in hot soapy water to re-use it next time.

I keep a written inventory of what's in the freezers and now always look at that first when deciding on the following week's menus and shopping lists. This has really worked for me - previously I ended up with a freezer stuffed full of stuff which I always meant to use but never did. Now the extra portions of things get used up within a couple of weeks and stock rotation is far better.
    Originally posted by C J
    When you say sharpie do you mean like a whiteboard marker or is it a permanent marker?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin