Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnaBenjie
    • By AnaBenjie 5th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    AnaBenjie
    Interview for Probate?
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    Interview for Probate? 5th Oct 17 at 9:31 AM
    As an executor of my mum's will I got to an important stage yesterday when I submitted, by hand, the documents at the local Probate Sub Registry. (I decided to do it in person as a result of helpful comments here about the value of a certified copy of the will.) The fellow who gave me the receipt that I asked for, and who obviously did no more than flick through the documents, said that I "should be hearing from us at your email address in a couple of weeks' time about an appointment for interview". Foolishly, I didn't ask for clarification about that at the time.
    I have no recollection of mention in this forum, or by other executors anecdotally, of an interview being part of the process, as a matter of course. On re-reading the official notes about probate the only mention of "interview" I have noticed is in relation to the swearing of the oath at a probate office rather than at a solicitor. On PA1 I clearly ticked the first box in question 1 (i.e. "at a solicitor's office"). Am I missing something?
Page 1
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 5th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Brighty
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    I think he must have meant swearing the oath. I did it at a solicitors and it was a 5min process during my lunch break
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    I think he must have meant swearing the oath.
    Originally posted by Brighty
    I did the "interview" at my local probate registry - Saves having to pay extra to do it at a solicitor's office...

At the PR, they just check your ID and ask you to read the oath. You get the chance to ask any questions regarding the oath, then sign it. Five or ten minutes, and despite the impressions given, a simple process.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    As an executor of my mum's will I got to an important stage yesterday when I submitted, by hand, the documents at the local Probate Sub Registry. (I decided to do it in person as a result of helpful comments here about the value of a certified copy of the will.) The fellow who gave me the receipt that I asked for, and who obviously did no more than flick through the documents, said that I "should be hearing from us at your email address in a couple of weeks' time about an appointment for interview". Foolishly, I didn't ask for clarification about that at the time.
    I have no recollection of mention in this forum, or by other executors anecdotally, of an interview being part of the process, as a matter of course. On re-reading the official notes about probate the only mention of "interview" I have noticed is in relation to the swearing of the oath at a probate office rather than at a solicitor. On PA1 I clearly ticked the first box in question 1 (i.e. "at a solicitor's office"). Am I missing something?
    Originally posted by AnaBenjie
    There was a tiome when you had to attend but now you can sign the oath as you requested.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    In the not-too-distant future, you will be able to sign a declaration online rather than swear an oath. Not sure when it changes, but it is fairly imminent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,664Posts Today

7,291Users online

Martin's Twitter