Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IANANDJANETS
    • By IANANDJANETS 5th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 2Thanks
    IANANDJANETS
    British Gas..Never again!
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    British Gas..Never again! 5th Oct 17 at 9:12 AM
    Hi, I've just left British Gas after 12 months of the worst service ever. Smart meters that have not worked properly from the beginning, overseas call centres offering platitudes rather than results and now they want to hang on to my £80 credit for two weeks until it suits them to return it! I don't care how cheap their next offer is I would rather pay MORE!
Page 1
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 36,009 Posts
    • 464,118 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    I've been with them years and they have been amazing through severe financial hardship. I have smart meters (first in my area to have them fitted) and Hive (again one of the first) which are pretty dire tbh. Their homecare has been great.. just had 3 callouts in 2 weeks for an ongoing issue which appears to now be resolved. You may have been one of the utterly unlucky ones as we all have different experiences based on our needs and usage and circumstances.. I hope your new supplier provides you with a better service! However.. their call centres are in Leeds judging by the accents when I call.. but they have lots throughout the uk they are hiring..

I had awful awful awful experiences with Scottishpower and Npower were utter ripoff merchants and their customer service should have been renamed 'dis-service'!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 9th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    My sympathies. After two bad customer service experiences with them, I refuse to give them my business.

The first was back in 1997, when I changed jobs and discovered that my first pay day would be six weeks later - my new employer did their payroll to the 19th of the month. I phoned British Gas to ask them to change my direct debit date and they refused to deal with me because I wasn't the primary account holder - my (now ex-) husband was, even though the property was mine and I was the bill payer for everything. I told them the payment would not be met on the scheduled date and they still wouldn't change it.

The second time was a couple of years later. I'd just moved home after ditching the ex and was setting up my new gas and electricity. The previous owner had used British Gas and Southern Electric, so I tried phoning them first. Southern were lovely and helpful. British Gas kept me on hold for 10 minutes and then hung up on me. I immediately dialled Southern back..."You do gas, don't you?"... The rest is history.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin