Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 5th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 46Thanks
    HGW2012
    Have our details been passed on to a 3rd Party?
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    Have our details been passed on to a 3rd Party? 5th Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Since OH and I applied for our mortgage we have had a increase in junk mail. I'm talking daily!
    Housey kind of places, loaf and the likes.

Could our broker have passed on our details to a 3rd party company?

The mortgage application is the only thing I can think of it being because we are both receiving mail in both our names and OH full name which he rarely uses.

What can I do about it? I am concerned that I didn't sign up for mail from these companies, and soon we will be moving but obviously the mail will continue.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    I am concerned that I didn't sign up for mail from these companies, and soon we will be moving but obviously the mail will continue.
    Originally posted by HGW2012
    Why does this concern you?

Especially as you are moving somewhere else soon.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 5th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    Why does this concern you?

Especially as you are moving somewhere else soon.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    My concern really is that someone has signed out details up to this company without our permission.

I suppose us leaving the mail behind doesn't really matter as such.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 5th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    Have you or your OH been shopping?
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    You can ask the company that is mailing you how they got your details - sometimes they will just tell you, or sometimes you will have to make a formal 'Subject Access Request'.

(But often the company sending you stuff is a direct mailing firm who own the list of names and addresses - it's not the company being advertised.)

They should definitely remove you from their mailing list if you ask.

See: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-stop-unwanted-direct-marketing

In general, any company that shares your data for marketing purposes needs your permission.

I think the latest legislation is that you have to 'opt-in' as opposed to 'opt out' of this, but I'm not certain - i.e.
    Tick the box if you want us to share your details
    versus
    Tick the box if you don't want us to share your details

Edit to add...

But in general, I wouldn't bother with any of this. I'd just throw the letters in the bin.
    Last edited by eddddy; 05-10-2017 at 9:39 AM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 5th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 9,843 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    You probably missed a tickbox on an application form or something. Send everything back with 'no longer at this address'. Better still, if they have sent a prepaid envelope, use that to send it all back saying the same, or 'unsubscribe'.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • toc25
    • By toc25 5th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    We have had loads of moving house related junk mail since we started the process too. We applied for our mortgage directly through a bank and not a mortgage broker. I think that its the estate agent who has sold our house that has sold our details.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    estate agents always share details
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 5th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    Ahh yes estate agent!
    Didn't think of them because we are the buyers and haven't really spoke to them much.

But surely they are not allowed to pass our details on without our permission. Are they?

I called one of the companies and all they could tell me was that I wasn't requested by me as no email address has been added and would need to have been if I had personally joined a mailing list.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I got loads of crap through the post from Removal Companies etc as soon as I signed up

I'm assuming hidden in the terms and conditions when I signed up
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 5th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 9,843 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Every time I rang about a house the EA added me to a mailing list. I got wise and always mentioned I wanted to opt out. I was getting sent through houses in areas hundreds of miles away or in London. Got so fed up with it I just started blocking them all. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was them, I nearly mentioned it in my post but thought it'd be more emails than post so changed my mind.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 5th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    Very sneaky, I have checked their T&C's and see it mentions for sellers details will be passed on unless you opt out but not for buyers.

I suppose I'm out of luck now, I'm not going to be able to get them to unsubscribe we am i!
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 5th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 32,391 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    FWIW when I complete a clients mortgage application I ALWAYS ensure all the marketing preferences are set to off - both for the lender itself and third parties.

As for us, we aren't permitted to share data, unless it's with the police, regulator etc.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin