Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CG77
    • By CG77 5th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,147Posts
    • 1,638Thanks
    CG77
    Applying for a mortgage after a bad history and a long time!
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    Applying for a mortgage after a bad history and a long time! 5th Oct 17 at 8:39 AM
    Hi all,

Just after some reassurance if possible. I had really bad credit years ago (as bad as it gets due to poor business decisions by my ex husband!) and have been renting ever since. I am now finally in a position to try to buy again and have been recommended a product with Skipton by L&C. They are happy with my history etc and I have a decision in principle and am about to make the full application and send off statements for them to scrutinise etc.

Due to it being so long since I did this before, and doing it all alone this time, this is where iím nervous..! I donít go mad, my current account balance is never below about £1800 but because I have been able to afford it, I do eat out, have takeaways, days out with the children, the odd night away etc etc. This will of course slow down if necessary in the new house, but will it put the lender off?

What exactly are they looking for in the statements? I believe they only want one month which happens to be a month in which I had to shell out for high school uniform, shoes, bag, equipment for a child, birthday days out, a summer holiday overnight hotel stay and associated costs etc-typical! If they looked at the month before they would see September was not a typical month!

Am I worrying needlessly? I now have really good credit, no credits cards etc, but am still nervous!

Thank you in advance for any reassurance.
    New Year, New Me!!!

Weight loss mission 2012 has officially begun!!

Loss so far: 3 stone 4lbs
Page 1
    • ambc
    • By ambc 5th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ambc
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    If it helps, I've just taken a mortgage out with Skipton (they actually released the advance today) and they only asked for one bank statement at time of application. That statement showed all the usual stuff like eating out, plus some one-off purchases, plus a couple of largish payments where I settled a couple of credit cards in full in lieu of the mortgage application. So not really a typical month at all.

As I was led to believe, they only needed that one statement to make sure that the figure on my payslip matched the figure that landed in my bank account for that month.

This was done through a broker though, so YMMV.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 5th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 10,069 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    Baffled why so many applicants working through the team 'recommended' by this site end up back on here with worries.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • CG77
    • By CG77 5th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    CG77
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience, ambc! I really hope it’s the same for my application then!

Amnblog, as and aside, to be frank I haven’t been hugely impressed so far to be honest-initial lack of promised contact and then a fairly fundamental issue with lack of knowledge on the part of the adviser I’ve been dealing with, which I had to correct him on, and which he continued to insist he was right about but then checked and admitted I was in fact correct (no apology). Just made me lose faith a little but when I asked could I change to someone else, I was told I could, but they’d have to begin the whole process again right from the beginning, which I really don’t have time for! Not ideal... Shame too because there are so many positive reviews of the company.
    Last edited by CG77; 05-10-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    New Year, New Me!!!

• CG77
    • By CG77 5th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    CG77
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    Oh and amnblog, Iíd really appreciate your thoughts on whether the spending mentioned sounds like it could be an issue in your experience? I know you canít say for certain at all what each lender looks for but just in your opinion..? Thank you so much!
    Last edited by CG77; 05-10-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    New Year, New Me!!!

• CG77
    • By CG77 8th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    CG77
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    Could anyone else advise here at all please? I know it’s silly but i’m tying myself up in knots. I did have a bad experience years ago which ended up in a BR and meant I always thought I would have no chance at ever owning a property. I am now, due to my parents helping out by gifting a deposit, in a position to buy a house on my own.

Skipton apparently only want to see one statement but the broker wants to see the last 3 months worth. The last full month isn’t the best - as I said it shows high spending due to hotel stays for a special occasion, expensive uniform and equipment for new school for my son etc. My maths isn’t the best and I might even have spent more than came in that month, but as I always have approx £1800-£2000 in that account it didn’t matter. I really really don’t want to set myself up to have this mortgage declined. If they looked at the previous month or the October one when it comes to it, they would see much less spending but it seems september is what they will want (last full month) so what do I do? Can I wait so that October is the most recent month they see? Do I not worry about it and just send September? My broker isn’t the most approachable (or knowledgeable) so I don’t want to just go along with the application for it to be declined.

Help put my mind at rest please!
    New Year, New Me!!!

• YHM
    • By YHM 8th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    YHM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    CG77 sounds like you need a new broker!

I wouldn't worry yourself as sounds like you are handling yourself well at present. How long ago was the BR?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Time2go
    • By Time2go 8th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Time2go
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    TBH I don't think they look that closely at statements only to verify you have no credit commitments you have forgotten to tell them about.
    • CG77
    • By CG77 8th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    CG77
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    Thanks so much both - I really appreciate it!

YHM the BR was almost 10 years ago now and the discharge less than 12 months later. There was a repossession as part of the BR too but broker has checked with Skipton and they are ok with this.

My bank account has always been well in credit (have no overdraft facility and have had at least £1500 balance on the account for the last 5 years at least.

I just worry what they will make of the spending and the fact that the bills (rent, utilities etc) don’t come directly out of this account, they go out into my partner’s account in one large payment which covers my bills and more (holiday saving etc). Hopefully I can just explain this to them though and all will be ok?

My past is making me so nervous about all this and I really appreciate all responses!
    New Year, New Me!!!

• Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 9th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    Natwest looked at a couple of payments and asked me in our mortgage interview/application. We had declared that we have no credit at all, so queried an argos payment which was just a purchase and not a card. Also a regular payment to a person which was actually my rent. They didn't seem interested in the day to day spending. More checking out credit and wages.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin