Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crisp
    • By crisp 5th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 374Posts
    • 52Thanks
    crisp
    Residential or commercial purchase and SDLT
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    Residential or commercial purchase and SDLT 5th Oct 17 at 8:08 AM
    We viewed a property which has 4 floors, each about 400 sq ft. Only the upper floor is being used as residential and the other 3 floor are used as an office.

It has planning to change into all residential if required.

Our own home will be sold but we will need to keep it until our new home is habitual which means we will have to pay the 3% surcharge.

Is this a residential or commercial purchase for the purpose of stamp duty?

For some reason I was thinking there there a SDLT scale for residential and one for commercial. Is this correct?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 5th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 6,066 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    The rates are on HMRC's website.

I would say it's the commercial rate as you're buying it while it's still in mixed use. Should be cheaper for you too as you avoid the 3% surcharge.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 5th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    You may avoid the charge but typically commercial properties are more expensive to fund than residential, 50% ltv is common as are higher arrangement fees.

Not a problem if you're a cash buyer of course.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 5th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 5,431 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    anselld
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    Yes commercial rates for mixed use, no surcharge.

Be careful about the residential conversion if that is your plan. Planning permission is not necessarily the difficult bit. Building regs approval for such a conversion can be prohibitively expensive since you need to meet current standards within an old shell.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

939Posts Today

5,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin