Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kates08
    • By kates08 5th Oct 17, 6:56 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 8Thanks
    kates08
    Self employed mortgage question
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:56 AM
    Self employed mortgage question 5th Oct 17 at 6:56 AM
    Hi all,

Me and my Self-employed husband are moving and are just about to put in our mortgage application, however HSBC have only asked for his SA302 rather then his full tax return.

Last year he bought a new van which he is paying for on finance, and we were advised by HMRC to claim the whole amount for the van in the first year by putting the whole van amount (£11k) in as a Annual Investment Allowance in the first year. He obviously didn't spend this much out in that year, but the SA302 shows his profit minus this figure so it looks like he earned £11k less on his 15/16 tax return.

Has anyone else come across this and if so, how did you overcome it? £11k less earnings will seriously dent thr amount we can borrow!
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 5th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 9,857 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    Lenders are rarely interested in the detail of Accountancy practice.

An Accountants job is to get your tax bill down, this often does not suit the needs of a mortgage applicant - AIA is an example.

The SA302 is requested because it quotes the 'profit from self employment' (you will also be asked for the accompanying tax year overviews).

Expect HSBC to work from the 11K figure.

If that is a problem, speak to a Mortgage Broker who may be able to position your lending with a more flexible provider.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin