Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 5th Oct 17, 6:08 AM
    • 2,896Posts
    • 39,313Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 5 October 2017
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:08 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 5 October 2017 5th Oct 17 at 6:08 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 5 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, but it's been blustery from some time during the night, so doesn't sound very nice outside, although not raining, but it is wet underfoot.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce, menfolk had a chicken and mushroom slice with theirs - they were in the fridge and needed using up. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost for tonight's dinner which will be HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, mash, veg and gravy - good comfort food, which going by the weather is what's needed.

I'm on days' off, but have work training to go to today, then I'll be going to town to visit bank and building society. Once I'm home I'll be getting on with the washing, drying and ironing and housework.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x

Just to edit - it is now raining to accompany the blustery conditions - so now looks wet and wild.
    Last edited by nmlc; 05-10-2017 at 6:41 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 5th Oct 17, 6:26 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 41,742 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:26 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:26 AM
    Morning All

Thanks nmlc, hope you get all your chores done.
    Glad you have the shed up csarina.

Shhh, it's not raining - I can see the stars out there! Last night's rain was truly awful.

Went with DD to her flat, she's between tennants, and we had a good clean round. It wasn't too bad at all but gave the bathrooms a good scrub with bleach, my eyes were nipping by the time we had finished. It's god to know everything is ok before the next tennant moves in (hopefully this weekend).

Take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 5th Oct 17, 6:27 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 14,523 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:27 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:27 AM
    Morning all!
    I will be working from home today, which means that I usually get a lot more done in the same amount of time, no interruptions.
    I seem to have settled into a pattern of 6 hours sleep this week, and although I might like more, this is better than it has been.
    It is still too dark to tell how the day will be, hopefully dry or dryish because I have got behind with the washing. I did bedding yesterday as it wasn't raining and that's dry. I can put clothes on racks and hangers but would prefer to get them outside.
    My DM was 89 this week, she thought she was 88.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 5th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 22,616 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for the start. It looks fine outside after last night's rain but I don't know what's in store for us as not heard a forecast. Up bright and early after my wine and carvery night last night with the old girlies as need a head start on the busy day ahead.

The DGDs are all still asleep so I have been coming round gently with a coffee before rousing them. Then all systems go getting them fed and watered and sorted for school.

The journey to Leeds for Mr TA's Oncology appt will be even more tedious today as Northern Rail are on strike action so we have the pleasure of the return journey on the bus which takes forever. My book is already packed to pass the journey time. Just hoping we are not caught up in the rush hour traffic coming back as the DGDs are back again for late tea and another sleepover.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) to all in need or want of them - it seems quite a few of you just now. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 5th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 12,165 Posts
    • 35,656 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    Morning all

Hope Mr TAs appointment goes well
    Happy birthday Mrs AOD....89 is impressive

The good news is that it seems we have heating at mums I am celebrating tentatively at the moment seems too good to be true.

Off to London today to see the queen If she is not in then it will be a standard girly day out with my lovely friends from the book club. Plans include afternoon tea and a trip on the thames then playing it as it comes. Return tickets from the north west cost a sum total of £22 each no doubt we will be spending quite a bit there though but hey ho life's for living.

So better get my !!! in gear and put some clothes on
    • redruby
    • By redruby 5th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 90,074 Thanks
    redruby
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

Overcast and blustery here today but no rain atm, I think we are due some though.

Off to work for me and its a busy day today and we have lots of clients so it should fly by.

Did another two washes last night so only another one to go, will get that one done and dried tonight.

Going to do pizza and chips for dinner tonight, so a nice easy dinner after a hard day.

DD has nearly striped the paper off of her bedroom wall just a bit behind the wardrobe to go, we need to finish that and give it a quick rub down then paint it, hopefully we will get this done before the weekend so that OH can put the wardrobe up.

Evie has had a good night sleep and has woken up wanting to play fight all morning, my poor FIL will have a very hyper pup on his hands !

Have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 9,730 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

It’s raining quite heavily here at the moment, and I wanted to do a little bit of washing today. The forecast is for it to improve later in the day so I’ll wait and see if it dries up. I don’t want to use the drier or have wet washing hanging around the house.

I gave up on the idea of replacing my food processor for the time being. Our local Debenhams had sold the last reduced one that I wanted, so I’ve decided to wait it out. We will no doubt get the ‘Black Friday’ deals and the sales starting in December/January so it seems sensible to wait until then and hopefully pay less. It will also allow me to see how much I miss it. You never know, I may find that I can do without one and save the money.

I need to wash the kitchen and bathroom floors this morning, and I want to empty the kitchen cupboards and clean them. I think my lists of what is in them are a bit out of date, and I don’t want to end up replicating things that I’ve already got.

So no exciting plans here today.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,449 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    Good Morning all and a dry and hopefully bright day today .Enjoy your trip to my home town Nelski, forecast is 16c and sunny so the Thames should be spectacular.

Today I am doing a bit of whizzing around with the mop and hoover and maybe a bit of baking as well.
    I too only manage around 6 hours sleep a night ,but I think you don't seem to need as much and I'm one of those people that once my eyes are open I'm out of bed ,never have been able to lie in bed whilst awake.,especially once its light.
    DD has got a date for her foot operation and I'm pleased for her its on the 28th of this month so she didn't have to wait too long at least .At least she will be up and about before Christmas rears its head.

Eldest DD is popping in tonight to pick up DGS Danny's birthday and his and his wife's Christmas presents as they are off to NYC in a week or so and will take them with her (saves the postage )Thats another job out of the way at least.
    Right I'm in need of some coffee, have a good day chums what ever you are doing and I hope Mr Ta's appointment goes OK

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx

P.S. I agree Hollyharvey I am hoping to buy a Bamix mixer and I am waiting for either 'black friday' or the sales to start as they are about £120 odd
    Last edited by JackieO; 05-10-2017 at 7:37 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • tru
    • By tru 5th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 8,587 Posts
    • 43,414 Thanks
    tru
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    Morning

We were playing on the beach when Scampi decided to get rid of the sand in his mouth by drinking out of a rockpool. Salt water is a no-no so his body reacted by getting rid of it ASAP. He kept throwing up and I was about to find an out-of-hours vet because it seemed to be going on for too long and he seemed drunk (can't think of a better way to describe it), when suddenly he was fine – started eating his dry food and had a drink, then asked for a walk. All quite normal apparantly, you only have to worry if it goes on for hours. Still horrible at the time though.

The car is running quietly now, though mr tru swears he can still hear a faint squeak. I think he's imagining it, I can't hear anything so I'm ignoring him

My hair isn't controllable at the best of times but the sea air has made it go insane, lol. And very very dry. No amount of leave-in conditioner is making a difference. When I get home I'm going to attack it with thinning scissors, then use some fancy hair oils that miss tru brought home from work.

Mr tru wants to wander around the shops in Marazion, Scampi will yell at everyone if we take him so I'm going to use him as an excuse to stay here and have a break from mr tru, he's driving me a little bit lot nuts.

Bulletproof
    • Gers
    • By Gers 5th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 35,469 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning all.

After more overnight downpourings and strong winds all looks calmer outside. There’s still a fair wind but no rain, so far.

All my frazzled parts are smoothed out from a good sleep. Today I only need to do some online banking and some planning for tomorrow. Happily I was successful in my plea to change the Friday session to a better time. So, after this week it’ll be on Mondays instead. though there’s a two week break after tomorrow. The schools there have two week half terms!

I intend to be lazy today. Happy Thursday folks.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 5th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 16,600 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Bright morning after a rainy night, still at least we do not have to water the new lawn today.

OH has an appointment for a haircut this morning and we are going on to the hospital in melton, he has an appoinment to see about new insoles for his shoes.

We spent an hour yesterday afternoon putting stuff back in the shed, I have re-assembled the handle on the mower so he can cut the back grass.

We both slept ok, I woke just after 5am, but managed to get back to sleep, just dozing I think, so feel a lot better for it.

Easyish supper tonight, spaghetti and meatballs, just need to cook the meat balls and make the tomato sauce.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,659 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Glad to read that Scampi has recovered TRU its scary when they are so poorly I know.
    Enjoy your lazy day Gers
    Safe and stress free journey wishes to the TA's

Morning everyone,

After a really stormy night the wind is finally starting to die down to a mere strong breeze, kept me awake quite a lot so, what with the lurgy as well, feel really quite eurgh this morning.need to go shopping this morning and then Lulu has the horsey dentist this afternoon so no rest etc.
    The humane mouse traps just aren't working so will have to go back and see what else they have, I really can't deal with a half dead mouse and my DOH has a real phobia with them so need to try and dispose of them ideally alive, any thoughts my friends?

Right, time to get myself in gear, have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 13,798 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Yesterday my gran had an angiogram as the docs think there's a potential blockage in one of the arteries going to her heart. So I swung past her home on the way back from work and my mum and my uncle were there. There is a potential block at a valve and an artery so they're due another appointment to discuss heart surgery and if it's needed. I can tell she's worried. I'm trying to remain positive.

All 4 of us had dinner together, which has never happened before - mainly because my Uncle stays in Edinburgh. From there I left to play football and had an early night. Woke with a dodgy shoulder so I decided against the gym and will aim for a productive evening.

Came into work to be told my colleague, who is 24 and sits next to me, his mother passed last night. Cancer. So there's a sombre mood in the office today but I'm trying to lift everyone.

Lainey - my mum had a contraption (which you may have tried). It's a tube which has an elevated end at the back, where you put some food. Once the mouse goes to it, it's lifts and the door shuts. We caught all our mice that way and released them in the field.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,711 Thanks
    Floss
    Speky what a few hours you had Big hug from Blackpool on its way with some of our sunshine xx

If it is any help, my mum had 4 angiograms & 2 angioplasties (balloon with stent to hold open the artery) between the age of 70-73. The consultant said she would be driving after 6 weeks, to which i responded that would be a miracle as she didn't drive beforehand! She was fine & well after all of them.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,659 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Lainey [/B]- my mum had a contraption (which you may have tried). It's a tube which has an elevated end at the back, where you put some food. Once the mouse goes to it, it's lifts and the door shuts. We caught all our mice that way and released them in the field.
    by SpekySquarehead;73218926

[B
    Thanks Speky but that's exactly the kind we have tried, don't know if they are working as a gang but first time it had been activated but no mouse in the trap and second time the blocked end had been chewed through after eating the peanut butter. Either a gang or we have Steve McQueen mouse
    • Gers
    • By Gers 5th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 35,469 Thanks
    Gers
    The mice which I had were too small and light to trigger the humane trap. I caught one mouse with the awful spring trap and then plugged in a sonic device. No mice since though it could all be a coincidence as these have mixed reviews.

Sorry to hear about your gran Speky. Heart surgery these days is much more sophisticated than even 10 years ago. Please try to not worry too much.

Lazy day is turning out well. Sun is shining, I have the front door open which allowed two very dozy wasps in. They are gone. I've cleaned both my remote controls (the sunshine showed up just how mucky there were), the laptop keyboard and mouse rollers. Surgical spirit is great for these jobs but doesn't half nip.

I've also booked tickets to see Dara O'Briain in March next year in Newcastle. It's a good excuse to see old friends again.

Now for online banking...
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 107,713 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Just a quick wave to you all today; I'm not in the best place mentally & don't want to drag the thread down.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,711 Thanks
    Floss
    to Lamewolf Sunshine & a gentle virtual hug on its way from Blackpool xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 5th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 5,549 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Have been over the van this morning draining down the water pipes etc and brought home the carpets. I have also stripped our bed and the bedding is in the WM now. Don't think it will dry through but as the wind is blowing and the sun is out, it has a chance. In any case it is supposed to be a nice day again tomorrow.
    Dad's head is much better and he is coming over for tea which will be Chinese style shredded beef with chips, as he and Mr Fix It are not fussed on rice.
    I will remake the bed later this evening when dad has gone home. I also want to order some things from Ar*os, ready for me to collect tomorrow, as it's DGD's birthday at the end of the month.
    Specky and Lamewolf sending gentle hugs and positive vibrations to you both.
    TA and Mr TA hope your journey is not too taxing and good luck with the appointment.
    Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day and hugs to all.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 22,616 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    LAINEY many years ago we bought something called Scram to sprinkle near mouse runs. It was supposed to send the mice elsewhere - probably your next door neighbours! I have no idea if it's still available though but I remember that it worked for us.

Today's hospital visit was a debacle from start to finish. It took us two and half hours to get there, waiting for buses and actually travelling on them to get to the hospital. No problem with the injection, that was ready and waiting, the problems involved lack of communication between the two hospitals Mr TA is being treated at and ended with me getting totally stressed out over it. Living with someone with cancer is stressful enough without added incompetence. Aaaargh!

Another two and a half hours to get back home again totally worn out. Mr TA is now snoring away on the sofa and I am psyching myself up for the arrival of the DGDs after swimming. Only two of them until much later as our little Margot Fonteyn is going to watch the Northern Ballet Company perform at Bradford Alhambra. Bless her she is so excited.

Speky and LAMEWOLF gentle hugs for you both and anyone else in need of one. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,461Posts Today

8,847Users online

Martin's Twitter